You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-07 14:12:25

zgR3Vr

Some Steam games practically hangs when in fullscreen

I have reinstalled my Arch Linux installation, and now I cannot get some of my steam games to work properly. Whenever I launch them, they more or less freeze until I change focus to another window. (For example when opening dmenu)
On my first install, I tried to setup Arch on my own. Thinking that maybe I made an error upon installation of NVIDIA drivers, or something else, I tried to install with the archinstall script instead. This did not change anything.
If I somehow get the game in 'windowed mode', as well as a smaller resolution than my screen, then everything works fine. When I change the resolution to match my screen, then it hangs again.
I am running DWM as my WM, but I have tried openbox as well - without any luck.

I've tried the internet, but I have a hard time figuring out what to search for. I haven't found anything that has helped me so far.

So far, it only happens with certain games running through Proton. I have tried all the various versions, as well as the Glorious Eggroll version.
The games I know of right now are Dead by Daylight, Tower Unite, BeamNG and KeyWe. As far as I can tell, Dead by Daylight uses Unreal Engine, Tower Unite also uses Unreal, BeamNG uses Torque 3D while KeyWe uses Unity3D. Don't know if this matters or not.

Here is a list of my installed packages:
https://pastebin.com/QtDUF7LN

And here a list of the steam output:
https://pastebin.com/xcrRSLeJ

#2 2023-12-07 14:18:34

zgR3Vr

Re: Some Steam games practically hangs when in fullscreen

And here is some output from my journalctl:
https://pastebin.com/0nNYNXFv

#3 2023-12-13 19:14:28

piratebill

I have this same issue running plasma (KDE). While I have no idea what the proper fix is, I have found a workaround. My system also has awesome installed as a WM, and if I run the games from that I no longer have this issue.

#4 2023-12-14 09:26:39

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

zgR3Vr, the steam output shows lots of fontconfig warnings, also steam can't find libcrypto.so.1.1 .

libcrypto.so.1.1 comes from openssl-1.1 & lib32-openssl-1.1

None of  openssl-1.1, openssl  or fontconfig are in your list of installed packages.
Verify if you do have them installed.

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2023-12-14 09:27:05)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

#5 2023-12-16 18:21:38

zgR3Vr

I will try to fix the missing fonts.
Other than that, I have noticed that it is not just with steam games. A lot of things that go fullscreen is doing this. For example something like IMDB videos and Minecraft. I have no idea what is happening.
Can I upload some logs, or some other stuff to make troubleshooting this easier?
I have never experienced something like this before.

#6 2023-12-17 11:04:05

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

This sounds like it is compositor related, but dwm & openbox don't use a compositor in default settings.

Do you use a compositor (https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#List_of_composite_managers for examples) ?

Please try with a very basic WM like twm .

Last edited by Lone_Wolf (2023-12-17 11:04:58)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer