You are not logged in.

#1 2023-12-18 06:41:09

iridyllic

Is it OK to install Arch on one drive from another drive?

I am already running Arch but want to change my SSD and install a fresh system on it.

Rather than using a Live USB, is it OK to plug in the new SSD, and run the Arch installation commands but from my existing Arch system on the other SSD? Of course, I would point the partitioning and mounting commands to the other drive.

I'd like to use my normal terminal and browser if needed, and I can't do this if I'm on a Live USB as I only have one computer.

#2 2023-12-18 06:46:17

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: Is it OK to install Arch on one drive from another drive?

I see no problem in doing this. You just need to install the arch-install-scripts package in order to have access to the respective installation scripts, such as pacstrap.

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#3 2023-12-18 07:13:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

The only potential issue would be the autodetect hook for the initramfs, which might not add all the required modules for the new machine. Should be fine as long as you're using the same drive type, filesystem and graphics card manufacturer though. If in doubt add the required modules to the MODULES array in /etc/mkinitcpio.conf and generate the new initramfs.

iridyllic wrote:

I'd like to use my normal terminal and browser if needed, and I can't do this if I'm on a Live USB

The live ISO includes a text-mode browser and the login message names the script which will open it on the official installation guide page. No second computer needed wink

#4 2023-12-18 07:25:09

schard
Forum Moderator
Website

OP only wants to add a new SSD, so...

macro_rules! yolo { { $($tokens:tt)* } => { unsafe { $($tokens)* } }; }

#5 2023-12-18 07:28:06

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Oh yes, silly me. Sorry OP. Thanks shard.

Board footer