You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-01 03:20:59

yak8998

first time using arch - impressions/suggestions

This is only regarding the install, just wanted to comment on some stuff...

A+ on the installation program. Its fast, works easy, and does a good job. At least at making the install simple.

I didn't play with it excessively, but after about an hour, I could not get my drive properly partitioned (main problem was with /boot and grub) and a kernel setup. I would rank myself at slightly more knowledgable than a beginner, so I think this should be feasbile for me. I've done several gentoo installations, buidling everything by hand. I'm not sure if the config files on arch just differ a lot, or I'm not sure what I'm doing. Maybe a manual install guide or quick walkthrough would be in order? As fast as i was able to install it, maybe with some pointers I could write one up myself...

The main problem I was having was with setting up file systems on the partitions and than setting them up in GRUB. The parition and dev naming system throws you off a little at first as well.

On the other hand I do plan on using arch for a while on my 2ndary system, its sooooo fast and light

"Ignorance is bliss, for stupid people."
"open-source is [...] programming Darwinism."
Vaughan-Nichols

#2 2004-03-01 07:05:08

sarah31
Website

Re: first time using arch - impressions/suggestions

m0nst3r wrote:

I upgrade to the 2.6.3 kernel and had to remove the modutils package that was initial installed due to a coflict, but other than that, it was nice, clean and quick

that should not be considered an issue as modutils cannot be used with 2.6 series kernels.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-03-01 16:25:17

Moo-Crumpus

Re: first time using arch - impressions/suggestions

Was the conflict really available, or did you removed the package because you thought the conflict could appear? I switched several stations from 2.4 to 2.6 without this conflict, as modutils - like sarah31 wrote - was updated earlier, and supports 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, whatever you run.

Frumpus addict
[mu'.krum.pus], [frum.pus]

Board footer