You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-23 21:54:47

test1000

Problems with new mkinitcpio/0.8

ok so it worked for a while, but i'm pretty sure that was because the kernel wasn't updated.

so i had sda sda1 [...] and it worked great.

then i installed a SATA controller and raptors 10000 rpm sata disk.

(and tried to make it my main disk after copying over lots of data, which didn't work, but that might have been my own mistake somehwo so just leave it out of this discussion)

now the computer would boot, but only when using the SATA as backup disk(not bootup disk).

To recap i basically have two physical disks.

on the old one i have windows c and d. and linux xfs partition and swap partion.
on the new one (SATA) i have a copy of my linux partition with all the files, but for some reason this one won't work as a boot partition. (this one is also XFS)

also grub doesn't let me TAB-complete the device names like i've could sometimes in the past. like /dev/sd[TAB] -> /dev/sda. all i get is a bunch of /dev/loop? files and some other stuff.

so for now i'm thinking: screw XFS and install ext3 on the new disk then make it my boot disk and hope it works.

also this new mkinitcpio stuff confuses me. I just want to boot my computer! Can someone provide me some mkinitcpio.conf's that would work with the above scenarios?

A screenshotguide explaining what happens if you set these and these options in mkinitcpio.conf during the different stages of the boot would help a lot of people i think.

Right now i'm downloading base-0.8-beta and going to burn it(in windows now) as fast as i can buy some cd's so i can get into my old system and chroot in and fix it somehow, since now it's not even booting at all, even with the new disk unplugged.

KISS = "It can scarcely be denied that the supreme goal of all theory is to make the irreducible basic elements as simple and as few as possible without having to surrender the adequate representation of a single datum of experience." - Albert Einstein

#2 2007-01-24 01:20:41

noriko
Website

Re: Problems with new mkinitcpio/0.8

well i would post mine, but it wouldn't be very useful as it's dependent on hardware...
basically if u don't modify the mkinitcpio.conf then everything should work as normal..
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fix … _subsystem

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2007-01-24 09:09:13

tomk
Forum Fellow

Re: Problems with new mkinitcpio/0.8

Did you try booting with the fallback image?

Board footer