You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-01 19:32:43

Enrico1989

[SOLVED] USB devs not showing in lsusb, nor GRUB, but only in BIOS

Initially I thought it was a hardware problem, or at least an OS-unrelated one (so I asked here first), but the more I think about it, given the details below, the more I'm convincing myself something might have gone wrong with some recent update.

I have a Dell laptop (Vostro Notebook 5590) with ArchLinux dual-booting with Windows 10. I haven't booted the latter for a very long time (years?) and I haven't worked much with the former for 20 days or so; I might have powered it on 2 or 3 times times just to update it via sudo pacman -Syu, but never connected any USB device to it.

One of the times I booted it for updating, I've noticed Windows 10 was not listed in GRUB (at the time of writing GRUB screenshows 3 entries: Archlinux (the one I always pick up), Archlinux - advanced options, UEFI something (can't see the wording right now)), but I didn't bother with it at that moment, and planned to ask about it some day.

But today, I'm back from holidays and I've booted my laptop with all USBs plugged in (webcam, headset, keyboard) and, surprise, the USB keyboard doesn't work! And not even the USB headset, nor the USB webcam! Rebooting did not help, but it helped me notice that

- The keyboard does work, if I enter the BIOS.
- If I reboot, I do see the keyboard giving signs of life, but it powers off (or at least all lights on it turn off) as soon as GRUB shows up.

Any clue how I can troubleshoot and solve this problem?

A few things I looked at already:

- I tried the short answer here (clearly doing grup-mkconfig instead of update-grub), but didn't work
- I came across this question on the present forum
- and this

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2024-01-02 18:42:49)

#2 2024-01-01 19:42:14

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Re: [SOLVED] USB devs not showing in lsusb, nor GRUB, but only in BIOS

Does the keyboard work if you load up the live ISO? Also try the linux-lts package, or downgrade to an old kernel, to check if that's the problem. Otherwise share the full journal contents.

#3 2024-01-01 20:01:32

Enrico1989

I don't have a medium at hand to put arch on, right now.

Should I just install linux-lts?

Before downgrading the kernel, I'd like to understand a bit more what's going on, to be honest. It does freak me out the idea that I might screw up everything big_smile

Here is the output of journalctl.

I see there are lines reading

usb: port power management may be unreliable

but I see them also before today and definitely before days in which I was using all of the USB devices I mentioned, daily.

#4 2024-01-01 20:18:57

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

Your journal seems to show several USB devices being detected and activated. Next time please just post a single boot, that one was too long.

Does this help at all?

#5 2024-01-01 21:26:06

Enrico1989

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Does this help at all?

Since the only 3 USB devices I've plugged in don't work, I'd go for the approach of "blacklist autosuspend for everything", so I've created /etc/udev/rules.d/50-usb_power_save.rules with content

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1e7d", ATTR{idProduct}=="307a", GOTO="power_usb_rules_end"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", ATTR{idVendor}=="1e7d", ATTR{idProduct}=="3098", GOTO="power_usb_rules_end"

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEM=="usb", TEST=="power/control", ATTR{power/control}="auto"
LABEL="power_usb_rules_end"

where the two idVendor and the two idProduct are taken from a file I had forgotten the existence of, /etc/udev/rules.d/99-roccat-vulcan.rules, which contains

ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1e7d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="307a", MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev"
ACTION=="add", SUBSYSTEMS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="1e7d", ATTRS{idProduct}=="3098", MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev"

(not sure when I created it and why)

However, this didn't work.

#6 2024-01-01 21:38:27

Head_on_a_Stick
Website

How about applying the usbcore.autosuspend=-1 kernel parameter? Remove the added udev rules before trying it.

#7 2024-01-01 21:44:14

Enrico1989

You mean changing

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="loglevel=3 quiet"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="usbcore.autosuspend=-1 loglevel=3 quiet"

in /etc/default/grub, run

sudo grub-mkconfig -o /boot/grub/grub.cfg

and then reboot? If so, I've tried it before and it didn't work.

#8 2024-01-01 21:55:35

seth

Messing w/ kernel or udev won't help if the devices don't even work in grub.
Check the BIOS settings for something like usb mode or usb handoff

Also

dual-booting with Windows 10

3rd link below. Mandatory.
Disable it (it's NOT the BIOS setting!) and reboot windows and linux twice for voodo reasons.

One of the times I booted it for updating, I've noticed Windows 10 was not listed in GRUB

is worrysome enough, though…
Can you currently boot windows (eg. from the UEFI boot list)?

#9 2024-01-01 22:22:25

Enrico1989

seth wrote:

Disable it (it's NOT the BIOS setting!)

Doesn't that mean I need to boot windows, which atm doesn't appear in GRUB?

seth wrote:

One of the times I booted it for updating, I've noticed Windows 10 was not listed in GRUB

You mean I'd hit F12 to enter BIOS (well, the new thing), change the boot order to put Win first?

Anyway,.... maybe I can. But I am really worried what happens if Win starts doing updates and the likes. I know from experience it can screwup the whole machine, partition table included, if something goes wrong during the update, such as internet going funny.

#10 2024-01-01 22:26:25

seth

I'm afraid it might already have done that… you cannot have a hibernating windows around and then use a different OS (linux), so you /have/ to disable fast-start at some point.
Does windows show up in the F12 menu?

And are there usb hand-off/legacy mode settings in the UEFI?

#11 2024-01-01 22:47:29

Enrico1989

seth wrote:

so you /have/ to disable fast-start at some point.

I'm pretty sure I've done this already, a long time ago. And I can't have undone it without booting windows, so that stuff should still be off.

But I understand I should double check it.

seth wrote:

Does windows show up in the F12 menu?

You mean from the "bios"? I remember it does, I'll double check.

seth wrote:

And are there usb hand-off/legacy mode settings in the UEFI?

I'll take a screenshot of that. Do you have something specific in mind?

#12 2024-01-01 22:55:34

seth

https://windowsreport.com/xhci-hand-off/
But that (and the visual representation) is very EFI specific.

#13 2024-01-02 06:41:23

Enrico1989

I've put here some photo of the BIOS.

I haven't photographed every single screen, but maybe these 4 help?

A few comments:

- (1st and 2nd photo) I don't know why the boot options show "ubuntu", as I've never installed Ubuntu on this laptop
  - (3rd photo) I don't think I've ever played with the two checkboxes under "USB configuration"
  - (4th photo) I don't think I've ever played with the two USB-related sections under "Power Management"

In the evening I'll check again if I find a "hand-off" something somewhere.

#14 2024-01-02 10:09:23

seth

"preset"?
None of the USB options there are relevant, you could try to allow "usb wake support" and see wether that keeps the ports powered.
Also, while booting from usb is enabled, "external usb ports" are not. One would think that one kinda implies the other, but the EFI might actually shut the USB ports down after the boot, so obviously enable that - at worst, it's redundant.

#15 2024-01-02 18:26:38

Enrico1989

seth wrote:

After backing up some stuff in the case something went wrong, I've tried starting windows form the UEFI boot list. It starts and looks ok. And USBs don't work in Windows either!

seth wrote:

It still doesn't appear in GRUB. Basically I can boot it from the UEFI boot list only. Not that I care, for the time being, but maybe making it appear in the GRUB list is part of the solution (I mean, the process of making Win appear in GRUB could uncover the reason of the misbehavior)?

seth wrote:

dual-booting with Windows 10

3rd link below. Mandatory.
Disable it (it's NOT the BIOS setting!) and reboot windows and linux twice for voodo reasons.

Done it, via powercfg /H off in the admin prompt.

I would have truly thought the problem is hardware.... if the USB didn't work in the UEFI bios!

Last edited by Enrico1989 (2024-01-02 18:28:01)

#16 2024-01-02 18:42:32

Enrico1989

seth wrote:

Also, while booting from usb is enabled, "external usb ports" are not. One would think that one kinda implies the other, but the EFI might actually shut the USB ports down after the boot, so obviously enable that - at worst, it's redundant.

That was it!

A bit weird, as I don't remember I've ever played with that setting. And I'm fairly sure I haven't played with it in the last few months, if not in a year...

seth wrote:

"preset"?

What did you mean, in case it could come useful in the future?

#17 2024-01-02 20:27:43

seth

Did you maybe update the UEFI recently?

"preset" like "the notebook came w/ ubuntu and windows and they were preset in the uefi boot config"?

#18 2024-01-07 09:32:50

Enrico1989

seth wrote:

Did you maybe update the UEFI recently?

No.

seth wrote:

"preset" like "the notebook came w/ ubuntu and windows and they were preset in the uefi boot config"?

No, it came with Windows only.

Board footer