You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-11 04:04:56

Sayarin

[Nvidia Optimus] NVIDIA GPU is recognized by computer but unused

I have a Razer laptop with KDE Plasma X11 Arch Linux with SDDM and have been trying to get my NVIDIA GPU setup and able to work with some processes but can't seem to get it working. I have a 1660 Ti Mobile and an Intel i7-10750H (12) CPU.

Whenever I boot up any game or process it only will run on the Intel integrated graphics (Intel CometLake-H GT2 [UHD Graphics]) and nothing will end up running on the GPU. Using envycontrol I have the GPU switcher on my computer and both hybrid and intel configurations use the intel, if I use the NVIDIA configuration my computer will boot up to a black screen and nothing will appear but the computer is functional so I can change it back to hybrid and it works fine.

As for drivers I have the packages for nvidia, nvidia-utils, nvidia-settings.

Tried using prime-run to run things as well and that doesn't seem to work either.

Essentially my computer goes blank when it tries to use the NVIDIA GPU and I am not sure how to fix this. If anyone knows the issue for why this might be happening it would be much appreciated.

#2 2024-01-11 04:14:15

ngoonee
Forum Fellow

Re: [Nvidia Optimus] NVIDIA GPU is recognized by computer but unused

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA_Optimus

Which of these instructions did you follow, and what logs did you check when things didn't turn out the way you expected?

Allan-Volunteer on the (topic being discussed) mailn lists. You never get the people who matters attention on the forums.
jasonwryan-Installing Arch is a measure of your literacy. Maintaining Arch is a measure of your diligence. Contributing to Arch is a measure of your competence.
Griemak-Bleeding edge, not bleeding flat. Edge denotes falls will occur from time to time. Bring your own parachute.

#3 2024-01-11 04:21:00

Sayarin

ngoonee wrote:

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/NVIDIA_Optimus

Which of these instructions did you follow, and what logs did you check when things didn't turn out the way you expected?

I used envycontrol and optimus-manager both to no avail (currently have envycontrol and uninstalled optimus-manager).

I am unsure of which logs to check since nothing ever crashes I just can't seem anything when I try to force it to use my nvidia GPU using envycontrol. If you have logs that might be able to help I can get them for you.

#4 2024-01-11 09:23:02

seth

Get rid of that and use the regular PRIME setup and prime-run.
Also please post your Xorg log, https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Xorg#General - there's a good chance that the nvidia GPU has no crtc or no outputs attached to it and the managers there do not probably rewire the output to the intel chip - or even disable it completely-

Board footer