You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-19 15:11:56

genericity

'Fcitx 5' and 'Fcitx 5 Wayland Launcher', which should I choose?

In KDE Plasma Wayland, there are two virtual keyboard choices: 'Fcitx 5' (from `/usr/share/applications/org.fcitx.Fcitx5.desktop`), and 'Fcitx 5 Wayland Launcher (Experimental)' (from `/usr/share/applications/fcitx5-wayland-launcher.desktop`).

What's the difference, and which one should I choose?

Thanks.

#2 2024-01-19 15:32:13

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: 'Fcitx 5' and 'Fcitx 5 Wayland Launcher', which should I choose?

Doesn't the name give it away? One is likely just for xorg/xwayland client the other might/should work on wayland? What happens if you just try?

FWIW https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Using_Fcitx_5 … KDE_Plasma suggests to just try Fcitx 5.

Last edited by V1del (2024-01-19 15:34:47)

#3 2024-01-19 15:37:05

genericity

V1del wrote:

Doesn't the name give it away? One is likely just for xorg/xwayland client the other might/should work on wayland? What happens if you just try?

No. They are both for Wayland, as they both appear in KDE's Wayland virtual keyboard selection UI, probably because both `.desktop` files contain the `X-KDE-Wayland-VirtualKeyboard=true` line.

And they both seem to be working alright in Wayland.

#4 2024-01-22 03:50:48

csslayer

genericity wrote:

In KDE Plasma Wayland, there are two virtual keyboard choices: 'Fcitx 5' (from `/usr/share/applications/org.fcitx.Fcitx5.desktop`), and 'Fcitx 5 Wayland Launcher (Experimental)' (from `/usr/share/applications/fcitx5-wayland-launcher.desktop`).

What's the difference, and which one should I choose?

Thanks.

Fcitx dev here, so whenever you have such question, you can always check fcitx-announce group since release notes are always posted there. https://groups.google.com/g/fcitx-annou … 7W1ATH2Viw

To answer your question, they have not much difference for now.
"Fcitx 5" will start fcitx5, while "launcher" send the wayland connection file descriptor to fcitx via dbus, if fcitx is not running, it will be automatically started by dbus.

There's future plan to make fcitx a native systemd user service, so that's where this "launcher" can be handy. For now you can use whatever works for you. "Launcher" one is newly introduced so there "might" be bug (there's no known ones though).

Board footer