You are not logged in.

#1 2024-01-31 09:40:09

TechXero

Some Concerns regarding ArchInstall

Hello..

After 3 years of maintaining my own custom Arch Distro (XeroLinux), I have recently decided to drop it in favor of Vanilla Arch using the infamous ArchInstall script.. Not gonna discuss the reasons as it's not what is important. Which brings me to the subject at hand. Keep in mind that I am looking at it from the perspective of an ex Distro Maintainer..

On with my concerns...

First off let me discuss Grub bootloader :

I have noticed that when it's selected, it does not include the --bootloader-id=insertnamehere which would add the necessary files in /boot or /boot/efi. All we get with this script is /boot/BOOTx86-64.efi for whatever reason. Also we don't get all the necessary hooks that allow to reinstall it making sure it stays functional. Albeit not necessary but would prove to be useful. Ignore this part if am wrong.

Second concern, nVidia Drivers :

If one has this GPU (16 series and up) and selects it during install with a Wayland based WM or wants to use Wayland at some point, all the installer does is install a few driver packages not all of them nor does it do the necessary modifications like mkinitcpio.conf modules and Grub bootloader flags which blacklist nouveau and early load of the nvidia.drm modules. IMO that is not ideal for people who select Hyprland for example and might end up with a less than ideal experience having to do all that manually post-install.

Third concern Profiles :

I have tested a few, but since I mainly daily drive KDE Plasma, I noticed that the profile is bare and too minimal. Might I suggest you include an option to select either minimal or full ? Coz not having Spectacle, gwenview, dolphin-plugins and other useful packages is a pain having to install them ourselves post-install. (optional though useful).

Finally multilib repo :

IMO that repo should be enabled by default as I have noticed a lot of users forget to enable it resulting in a lot of issues installing apps that require it like Steam etc..

Please take some of my concerns with a grain of salt just looking at things differently from other users..

Thanks.

Last edited by TechXero (2024-01-31 09:40:48)

#2 2024-01-31 12:19:00

Nikolai5

Re: Some Concerns regarding ArchInstall

There's nothing wrong with using ArchInstall, but I don't think its supposed to be exactly like an installation method you'd see with other distros, its just a helper. You still need to make decisions.
I suppose it could be made so that more KDE things are included when you select that, perhaps as a minimal vs full option, but the default of minimal is fine, I mean it allows you to pick and choose what you actually care about post-installation.

For GRUB, I didn't look into at the time so can't say whether you're right or wrong, but for me GRUB seemed to be configured correctly after it was installed. I didn't have to change anything, have you checked your system post-installation?

Ryzen 7 1800X | AMD 7800XT | KDE Plasma
I can't wait to play my favourite game, wine64-preloader.

#3 2024-01-31 12:58:22

V1del
Forum Moderator

For GRUB the script hardcodes the --removable flag which makes the --bootloader-id portion of the command obsolete. They hardcode that because there are some boards (MSI...) that don't have a proper UEFI implementation and will not store NVRAM entries any other way, and as far as I've seen most of the boards that do have these kind of issues have no way to preemptively check for that before the reboot, so using the --removable option is the path of least resistance for a "should work" install. With the caveat that that can and will die on e.g. parallel Windows updates.

The "safer" approach would probably be to double down and install GRUB both ways, so that properly working boards have a proper entry and others can still boot anyway.

#4 2024-01-31 14:48:38

TechXero

For Grub yes and we also need the hooks without which it's a recipe for disaster as in all my time maintaining a Distro the only thing breaking was Grub due to that. Also as for KDE yeah 2 sub-profiles would be great as a KDE Fanboi I can help I knowit backwards n forwards ..

#5 2024-02-01 16:18:15

c00ter

I test the Archinstall script monthly on a 9th Gen Intel/Intel desktop rig. I do it as a small contribution to "The Cause."

Three things...
You can edit pacman.conf beforehand. (I do just to add ILoveCandy smile ). You can add/enable other Arch repositories there.
Or you can run Archinstall with the --advanced flag with gives a couple more options including enabling Multilib and/or Testing.
I have had no recent (9 mos.+?) problems with GRUB or Systemd-boot and Arch is my only operating system.

Last edited by c00ter (2024-02-01 16:20:00)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#6 2024-02-01 16:20:41

TechXero

I did not say you will have issues I have been running Arch with my "tweaks" and KDE without issue for almost a month. All I was saying it would make it a much better experience if all the "necessary" things were done for the user during install. Example nVidia stuff for a good functional Wayland experience etc...

#7 2024-02-02 02:56:16

c00ter

OMFG! And eggs in their beer? And hand-holding, too! smile

You realize that the user can accomplish those things in the chroot option at the end of the install? If they do not or cannot accomplish those things perhaps they would be better off with one of the hand-holding Arch spins. Like your former spin. Archinstall was never meant to do all and be all. It, in effect, replicates the "official" Arch installer that existed (or so I've 'heard') back before I was running Arch or ArchBang

Last edited by c00ter (2024-02-02 03:07:05)

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#8 2024-02-02 07:27:11

TechXero

Hey that's not what I meant.

The script offers an option to install nVidia drivers cool, but it ain't complete, it requires more parts for good functional system. If you see that as handholding then you are wrong. It's about doing it right. Am not gonna argue here seems this is not the right place. Am done here clearly am wasting my time.

Last edited by TechXero (2024-02-02 07:28:21)

#9 2024-02-02 10:21:41

V1del
Forum Moderator

If you want to actually reach the developers open an issue on github. The main dev should be subscribed on this board but not sure how often he checks.

#10 2024-02-02 10:22:57

TechXero

Thanks @V1del might just have to do that..

#11 2024-02-03 16:44:30

c00ter

TechXero wrote:

Hey that's not what I meant.

The script offers an option to install nVidia drivers cool, but it ain't complete, it requires more parts for good functional system. If you see that as handholding then you are wrong. It's about doing it right. Am not gonna argue here seems this is not the right place. Am done here clearly am wasting my time.

I respect that. Certainly that option should lead to a complete and correct install. I will also communicate your concerns with Archinstall's developer/maintainers. I apologize for not being more mindful of your previously stated nVidia concern. My focus were on the other elements of your post.

That, and I guess I still have a nasty taste left from nVidia in Linux for over 20 years.

Last edited by c00ter (2024-02-04 16:10:02)

Board footer