You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-27 13:31:31

TheAngryAmoeba

Issues with web browsers?

I've been an arch user for close to three years, and have had really good results running it on older hardware. I got a new laptop 2 months ago, and donated my desktop to a friend who was in need.

But now I've gotten the itch to install linux again. I miss the ability to customize aspects of the system to my liking while not having to completely tweak everything.

I've got an intel solo core running at 1.87 ghz with a gig of ram. This machine is now duel booting Arch Linux, and Windows Vista RC2.
My machine is running vista well, i have areo and everything. So i thought to myself, I bet this machine would scream if i loaded arch onto it.

I installed from a 7.2 disk, and updated to current. This is where my problems began.

Firefox AND Opera are taking minutes to resolve webpages let alone load anything (whether it is the archlinux forum, or the google homepage or questionablecontent.net)

I had to boot into windows so i could even load the forum.

Crazy thing is I'm getting good load times in Links. 2-3 seconds for most webpages.(granted there are no pictures but there was no wait time)
my ping to google.com from arch averaged 68ms.

I'm assuming this is some sort of problem steming from having a fresh install of .8 has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Last edited by TheAngryAmoeba (2007-01-27 13:33:00)

#2 2007-01-27 14:07:02

lucke

Re: Issues with web browsers?

There were at least two similar topics just recently, you should search the forum.

Changing your /etc/resolv.conf or disabling ipv6 might help.

Last edited by lucke (2007-01-27 14:07:29)

#3 2007-01-27 14:54:13

scarecrow

Also- any chance your computer is using a Realtek Gigabit ethernet controller?

Microshaft delenda est

#4 2007-01-27 16:11:50

Stalwart
Website

Put in /etc/rc.conf: MOD_BLACKLIST=(ipv6)

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#5 2007-01-27 16:26:58

noriko
Website

have u tried disabling automatic loading of pictures in Firefox..
cos as u said, links loads the pages without a hitch so it's not a network interface issues afaik;

Fx Edit > Prefernces > | Content > ; uncheck 'Load Images Automatically'

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#6 2007-01-27 20:25:04

TheAngryAmoeba

Stalwart: I've black listed it, and nothing changed, Thank you for the suggestion though..

Noriko: it did nothing to firefox... again thanks for hte suggestion. 

However I did notice that if i had previously loaded a website, that it came up immediately.

I'm going to adjust my dns settings so hopefully it will work.

****Update, I fixed it. It took a while to figure out how to have dhcp and keep resolv.conf from being overwriten. Now everything is working beautifully.****

I figured out what was causing the problem. Dhcp was getting dns from my wireless router, which was getting it from another router, which was getting it from my isp. apparently two jumps caused it to slow considerably.

So for anyone Doing double-nat, Get your dns servers from your isp and add the "-R" option , (no qoutes), to  "DHCPCD_ARGS" in  /etc/conf.d/dhcpcd.  make sure to add it BEFORE any other arguments

Last edited by TheAngryAmoeba (2007-01-27 20:46:15)

#7 2007-01-30 19:19:49

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Alternatively, change the dns settings on your router so DHCP sets the correct servers.

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer