You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-04 21:47:11

cooldudeseven7

No Systemd-boot entries after installation with archinstall

Hello arch Linux community!
I already installed arch Linux before, And wanted to reinstall it (dont ask why).
But, Please note that in my previous install, I had been dual booting with WIndows. BUT, I still am today, And I am surprised to see this error:
When I install using the arch linux install script "archinstall", It sucessfully installs with no problems. I even can chroot into the directory and see that everything works. [including network]
But, when I exit chroot using "exit" then reboot using "reboot" The systemd-boot screen shows No boot entries exept for "Reboot into firmware interface."
1: I make sure that I delete my previous partitions.
2: Configure.
Here is my configuration:
One ext4 partition for my / directory
One EFI System partition originally EFI SYSTEM Partition (cfdisk), but changed manually by me [in archinstall] to FAT32 [because I heard it needed to be].
One ext4 partition, For Swap (made in archinstall)

For all of these partitions, I have ticked the "Format" option.
*NOTE*: I had ticked the format option for the boot option because I needed to change it to FAT32.

do any of you know how to fix this?
System Details:
HP 1012 G2 Elite X2
512 GB SSD
16 GB RAM
intel i7 7th gen [ask me for the exact model]
A Arch Linux installation USB, ISO from February 1st, 2024

#2 2024-02-04 22:10:07

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: No Systemd-boot entries after installation with archinstall

EFI system partition is the partition identifier not the filesystem and it will have been FAT32 anyway. If you formatted that now you basically just killed at least Windows but archinstall "should" have created the proper  entries for linux.

Post your /var/log/archinstall/install.log which hopefully got copied over to your installation root. So go into the live disk, mount everything logically correctly (e.g. your root into /mnt and the "efi partition" into /mnt/boot and then arch-chroot /mnt) and then from there post

lsblk -f
fdisk -l
bootctl status
efibootmgr -uv
/var/log/archinstall/install.log

https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/List_o … n_services

Moving to guided installer subsection

Last edited by V1del (2024-02-04 22:11:35)

#3 2024-02-04 22:20:05

cooldudeseven7

V1del wrote:

EFI system partition is the partition identifier not the filesystem and it will have been FAT32 anyway. If you formatted that now you basically just killed at least Windows but archinstall "should" have created the proper  entries for linux.

Post your /var/log/archinstall/install.log which hopefully got copied over to your installation root. So go into the live disk, mount everything logically correctly (e.g. your root into /mnt and the "efi partition" into /mnt/boot and then arch-chroot /mnt) and then from there post

lsblk -f
fdisk -l
bootctl status
efibootmgr -uv

I only deleted my old arch partitions. Windows is still bootable.
[ I will edit this message when I can retrieve the logs. ]

Last edited by cooldudeseven7 (2024-02-04 22:22:35)

#4 2024-02-11 23:23:51

cooldudeseven7

V1del wrote:

lsblk -f
fdisk -l
bootctl status
efibootmgr -uv

I erased my disk, and the same error occurs. Ill try to recover the logs even though I dont have another OS.

Last edited by cooldudeseven7 (2024-02-11 23:24:39)

#5 2024-02-12 13:59:16

c00ter

cooldudeseven7 wrote:

One EFI System partition originally EFI SYSTEM Partition (cfdisk), but changed manually by me [in archinstall] to FAT32 [because I heard it needed to be].

Archinstall will handle this correctly without user-intervention.

UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because that would also stop you from doing clever things. -- Doug Gwyn

#6 2024-02-13 22:06:13

cooldudeseven7

c00ter wrote:
cooldudeseven7 wrote:

Archinstall will handle this correctly without user-intervention.

Thank you. There is one problem-
1. I have secure erased my computer AND have reset the default settings for my BIOS/UEFI. Still, I have the same problem. No entries.
2. There is currently a issue on the bugtracker with GRUB during archinstall not installing and halting the install.
3. Limine and EFISTUB dont work on my system, and I dont want to try or use them.

Also, when an error occurs, my windows also breaks.

* I am using archinstall, have done this before, and never gotten this error. [well, I have, but that was in my attempts to fix this when i got it the first time.]

Thank you,
Cooldudeseven7

#7 2024-02-14 01:14:36

V1del
Forum Moderator

Post the logs requested above. Make sure your system is not secure boot enabled in it's UEFI settings.

#8 2024-02-14 13:17:26

cooldudeseven7

V1del wrote:

Post the logs requested above. Make sure your system is not secure boot enabled in it's UEFI settings.

Alright, I will when I can retrieve them. 1~2 days. By the way, Legacy boot enabled or disabled?

#9 2024-02-14 15:38:59

V1del
Forum Moderator

"Should" not matter but there are definitely UEFIs where this can lead to trip ups, so generally speaking if your goal is an UEFI boot you want that disabled.

#10 2024-02-14 21:09:20

cooldudeseven7

V1del wrote:

"Should" not matter but there are definitely UEFIs where this can lead to trip ups, so generally speaking if your goal is an UEFI boot you want that disabled.

Alright. Ill get you the logs soon! I am dualbooting with windows right now

[UPDATE]
FYI, I have two EFI partitions, One for windows and one for arch.  Previously, This worked.

Last edited by cooldudeseven7 (2024-02-15 00:44:25)

#11 2024-02-17 16:17:31

cooldudeseven7

V1del wrote:

UPDATE: I said I had ERASED my PC. Arch is no longer there. In a attempt to reinstall, I get this PGP key error, talking about 'required keys' and such, saying that they were invalid or corrupted. I HAVE SEEN https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=273213 and this solution does not work. Instead, It finds the corrupted key, and gives you an option to delete it. Deleting it or not, the fix provided does not execute/work properly.

The command/fix: sudo pacman -Sy && sudo pacman -S archlinux-keyring

where can I find the log? I cannot access the partition that was written to. [the error occurred during pacstrap]

Last edited by cooldudeseven7 (2024-02-17 16:19:02)

Board footer