You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-07 15:40:41

atticarch

[SOLVED] Fcitx5 Crashing With Wayland

Been trying to start Fcitx5 for some time now to no success: running "fcitx5-configtool" launches the GUI with a prompt that reads "Cannot connect to Fcitx by DBus, is Fcitx running?" - to which I press "start". It responds with about 6 seconds of operation, a notification from dunst  - mentioning Wayland (if I recall correctly) and a command I must remove - that cuts itself short with ellipses before listing said command, and a kick back out to SDDM after crashing Hyprland (presumably also crashing Wayland given the mention?).

Read around and it seems that part of the issue is that DBus isn't autostarting, but I'm having trouble finding where exactly to place the commands for an autostart and which ones I'm to place, too. It also seems that there may be something wrong with the lines I've set-up in my /etc/environment file, but the Arch Fcitx5 wiki and the Fcitx5 wiki have different things to say in regards to what goes in said file. Mine currently looks like this (following the Arch wiki):

GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx
SDL_IM_MODULE=fcitx
GLFW_IM_MODULE=ibus

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by atticarch (2024-02-07 22:37:25)

most things are made-up

#2 2024-02-07 21:48:53

seth

Re: [SOLVED] Fcitx5 Crashing With Wayland

It responds with about 6 seconds of operation, a notification from dunst  - mentioning Wayland (if I recall correctly) and a command I must remove - that cuts itself short with ellipses before listing said command

Please don't paraphrase, link a photo if you can't extract the information otherwise.

Then check & post /usr/bin/fcitx5-diagnose but this might just be a hyprland problem, https://github.com/hyprwm/Hyprland/issues/2146

#3 2024-02-07 22:36:37

atticarch

seth wrote:

It responds with about 6 seconds of operation, a notification from dunst  - mentioning Wayland (if I recall correctly) and a command I must remove - that cuts itself short with ellipses before listing said command

Please don't paraphrase, link a photo if you can't extract the information otherwise.

Then check & post /usr/bin/fcitx5-diagnose but this might just be a hyprland problem, https://github.com/hyprwm/Hyprland/issues/2146

I ran Fcitx5 at start-up with the Hyprland configuration file, and all seems to be mostly working now. My apologies for both paraphrasing and getting my daemon wrong: mako is who I received the notification from - not dunst. I pulled from the history and it reads that "Detect GTK_IM_MODULE being set and Wayland Input method frontend is working. It is recommended to unset GTK_IM_MODULE and use Wayland input method frontend instead. For more details see https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Using_Fcitx_5_on_Wayland".

It does seem to be a Wayland issue, I'm afraid, but at least there's a work-around. Thank you for your help: doubt I would've found out in a timely manner otherwise.

most things are made-up

#4 2024-04-03 08:46:31

martinit

atticarch wrote:

I ran Fcitx5 at start-up with the Hyprland configuration file, and all seems to be mostly working now. My apologies for both paraphrasing and getting my daemon wrong: mako is who I received the notification from - not dunst. I pulled from the history and it reads that "Detect GTK_IM_MODULE being set and Wayland Input method frontend is working. It is recommended to unset GTK_IM_MODULE and use Wayland input method frontend instead. For more details see https://fcitx-im.org/wiki/Using_Fcitx_5_on_Wayland".

It does seem to be a Wayland issue, I'm afraid, but at least there's a work-around. Thank you for your help: doubt I would've found out in a timely manner otherwise.

Hi,  I get that "Detect GTK_IM_MODULE" warning, too. Do you know how to avoid that warning on every startup? GTK_IM_MODULE is set to "fcitx" in my envs, but I didn't set that and can't find who set it. I've searched those regular rc files and didn't find any GTK_IM_MODULE.

#5 2024-04-03 13:17:00

seth

What exact session do you start how?
Did you check /etc/profile*?

#6 2024-04-04 02:21:19

martinit

seth wrote:

What exact session do you start how?
Did you check /etc/profile*?

I just start Hyprland from tty ("exec Hyprland" in .zlogin file). Checked /etc/profile*, nothing about GTK_IM_MODULE.

#7 2024-04-04 07:02:01

seth

~/.config/hypr/hyprland.conf ?

#8 2024-04-04 10:27:25

martinit

seth wrote:

~/.config/hypr/hyprland.conf ?

Checked, too. Does hyprland or any GTK related programs provide a default of that variable?

#9 2024-04-04 12:36:20

seth

GTK rather defaults to ibus.
You could search the origin of the variable w/ https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p2151255

#10 2024-04-05 05:01:13

martinit

seth wrote:

GTK rather defaults to ibus.
You could search the origin of the variable w/ https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php … 5#p2151255

It seems Hyprland has that variable, but there's no settings about it in my hyprland conf ......

#11 2024-04-05 07:07:19

seth

If it doesn't appear before it's set by hyprland or the script/systemd service that starts hyprland.
That's all I can tell from here.
Unsetting it immediately before running hyprland will take care of the former, otherwise, if it's absolutely not in your hyprland config you'll have to ask upstream whether they somehow conditionally set that.

#12 2024-04-08 05:19:49

martinit

finally found settings in /etc/security/pam_env.conf

Board footer