You are not logged in.

#1 2007-01-28 15:59:22

perseus

Experiences with skype and Flash Player 9 ?

Hello World,

I found arch a couple of days ago, and will install soon.

I wonder whether any of you are running current versions of (a) skype and (b) the flashplayer 9 plugin for  Firefox.  Both are subject to well-known but mysterious problems, apparently striking at random, and unfortunately both affect my current Slackware system.

The skype issue is that only root can connect :

http://forum.skype.com/index.php?s=599b … 57736&st=0

The Flash issue is that the new plugin regularly crashes some browsers, see various posts on :

http://blogs.adobe.com/penguin.swf/

It would be nice to know that arch users have not encountered these annoyances.

________________________________________________________________________________________

In case anyone is interested in the background of new users, I have been full time on linux for about 8 years.  I began with SuSE (it was cheaper than RedHat and there was an excellent printed manual).  I moved to Linux From Scratch (wonderful, but I could not face another installation session).  Then to Slackware (where I have been very happy, but I am open to the idea of a change).  I tend to keep distros for a long time, manually updating as I go.  I have run vanilla kernels since the 2.4 development began and (purely out of interest), I compile most of my own libraries and applications.

#2 2007-01-28 16:04:54

sessy

Re: Experiences with skype and Flash Player 9 ?

I use Skype rarely, but than it works for me as a user.
The Flash 9 plugin works too, but it's unreliable, sometimes the movie disappears from the browser, and need to reload the page.

#3 2007-01-28 17:45:02

ise
Developer
Website

Skype runs here without problems.....as a normal user, no root privileges required.
Flash 9 runs good....I have never a crash or something similar with Flash and Firefox.

Daniel

#4 2007-01-28 19:29:00

perseus

Many thanks to both sessy and ise. The two bugs I mention really are a pain - especially the Flash 9 one.  The developers can't reproduce it on their Gentoo boxes - ise does not have it - yet many people seem to suffer.  I am beginning to wonder if it is a hardware thing ... maybe Flash 9 is very demanding.  This box is 2 x 1gz PIII smp - which is becoming rather old now.

#5 2007-01-28 19:56:37

Stalwart
Website

I'm running skype on arch64 without problems

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#6 2007-01-29 20:32:03

perseus

Thanks Stalwart, and noted.

Board footer