You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-17 12:11:48

archerK1ng

Secure boot preventing me from booting into my system

I turned on my laptop and was hit this error message "The selected boot device failed", and was unable to boot into it. Did some googling and found a solution, which was turning off secure boot. I did that and was able to boot into the system, but secure boot keeps re-enabling itself from time to time and I'm faced with the same issue all over again. Can anyone help me fix this please?

#2 2024-02-17 18:05:32

cryptearth

Re: Secure boot preventing me from booting into my system

This sounds like you cmos battery ran dead and hence the bios resets to defaults - which seems to have secure boot enabled.
Check / replace the cmos battery should fix this.

Otherwise: Well, when your bios resets some settings all on its own I would check the bios versin and if there's an update available. When the system hasn't reached EOL yet I also would file a report to the manufacturer.

Another option would be to use SHIM and MOK and sign your bootloader and use mokmanager and shim to install your key into the bios so it works with secure boot enabled.

From personal experience: SecureBoot doesn't do anything - unless you're stupid and run windows on a full blown admin account with uac killed it's quite hard for evil software to gain access to important boot files to modify them in a way that secureboot would even detect it - as anything with such power can just install its own MOK along with the rootkit to trick secureboot - it's just some bad marketing bullshit microsoft came up with to keep its monopoly even deeper into the hardware industry. It's the first stuff I disable on a new system - and if possible clear the keys so it can't re-enable itself. It doesn't give ANY additional benifit but yet causes so much trouble. There're a few of such examples in the recent history of computing.

Board footer