You are not logged in.

#1 2024-02-24 12:08:48

paqob

installing from sda to sda, installer formats disk

dear community

i wrote the newest iso to the notebook hard disk where i want to install arch to.

i can not use an usb nor dvd installer

i created the partitions manually and all mountpoints are correct imho

but after starting installation the installer formats sda and setup crashes.

i dont think that any partition was marked for being formatted

it's a problem of the installer?

Last edited by paqob (2024-02-24 14:57:46)

#2 2024-02-24 12:41:08

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: installing from sda to sda, installer formats disk

Mod note: moving to Archinstall subforum.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2024-02-24 14:01:00

paqob

after dding the iso to an usb-stick and plugging it in, too, it worked.

because afaik this notebook does not boots from usb,

so i think the syslinux bootloader prefers the usb automatically, if plugged in, too, right?

final error of the installer was about grub installation

partiall install.log:

Installing packages: ['grub']
kernel parameters: zswap.enabled=0 rootfstype=ext4
GRUB boot partition: /dev/sda1
GRUB boot partition: /dev/sda1
Failed to install GRUB boot on /dev/sda1: ['/usr/bin/arch-chroot', '/mnt', 'grub-install', '--debug', '--target=i386-pc', '--recheck', '/dev/sda'] exited with abnormal exit code [1]: sed root_dev `hostdisk//dev/sda' from dir `/boot/grub/i386-pc'.
grub-install: info: setting the root device to `hostdisk//dev/sda,msdos1'.
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..
grub-install: error: will not proceed with blocklists.

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/installer.py", line 981, in _add_grub_bootloader
    SysCommand(command + add_options, peek_output=True)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/general.py", line 365, in __init__
    self.create_session()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/general.py", line 414, in create_session
    with SysCommandWorker(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/general.py", line 197, in __exit__
    raise SysCallError(
archinstall.lib.exceptions.SysCallError: ['/usr/bin/arch-chroot', '/mnt', 'grub-install', '--debug', '--target=i386-pc', '--recheck', '/dev/sda'] exited with abnormal exit code [1]: sed root_dev `hostdisk//dev/sda' from dir `/boot/grub/i386-pc'.
grub-install: warning: Attempting to install GRUB to a disk with multiple partition labels.  This is not supported yet..
grub-install: warning: Embedding is not possible.  GRUB can only be installed in this setup by using blocklists.  However, blocklists are UNRELIABLE and their use is discouraged..

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/__init__.py", line 329, in run_as_a_module
    main()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/__init__.py", line 324, in main
    importlib.import_module(mod_name)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/importlib/__init__.py", line 126, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1204, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1176, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1147, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 690, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap_external>", line 940, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 241, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/scripts/guided.py", line 256, in <module>
    perform_installation(archinstall.storage.get('MOUNT_POINT', Path('/mnt')))
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/scripts/guided.py", line 118, in perform_installation
    with Installer(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/installer.py", line 109, in __exit__
    raise exc_val
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/scripts/guided.py", line 159, in perform_installation
    installation.add_bootloader(
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/installer.py", line 1238, in add_bootloader
    self._add_grub_bootloader(boot_partition, root_partition, efi_partition, uki_enabled)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.11/site-packages/archinstall/lib/installer.py", line 983, in _add_grub_bootloader
    raise DiskError(f"Failed to install GRUB boot on {boot_partition.dev_path}: {err}")
archinstall.lib.exceptions.DiskError: Failed to install GRUB boot on /dev/sda1: ['/usr/bin/arch-chroot', '/mnt', 'grub-install', '--debug', '--target=i386-pc', '--recheck', '/dev/sda'] exited with abnormal exit code [1]: sed root_dev `hostdisk//dev/sda' from dir `/boot/grub/i386-pc'.

Archinstall experienced the above error. If you think this is a bug, please report it to
https://github.com/archlinux/archinstall and include the log file "/var/log/archinstall/install.log".

i did create a new topic for this new issue now.

Last edited by paqob (2024-02-24 16:03:17)

#4 2024-02-24 15:59:11

paqob

SOLVED by creating an new partition table with fdisk /dev/sda

#5 2024-02-24 16:01:06

paqob

ho to mark a thread as [SOLVED] ?

#6 2024-02-24 16:34:20

V1del
Forum Moderator

Edit the title in the first post of the thread.

Board footer