You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-12 04:49:05

Salkay

Updating plasmoids

I've installed some Plasma 6 plasmoids/widgets from the "Get New Widgets..." function. How are we meant to keep these updated?

From elsewhere on the internet, it seems that they should be automatically updated and/or updated via the "Discover" program. However, on opening "Discover", it says

Arch Linux is not configured for installing apps through Discover—only app add-ons

I'm not sure if plasmoids are even considered "apps", but when I click "Installed" on the sidebar, it says "Nothing found". "Updates" is also blank, even though I know there are updates available.

If I go back into "Get New Widgets...", then "Show only Installed entries", only a subset of my plasmoids are shown.

#2 2024-03-12 17:05:38

tdtooke

Re: Updating plasmoids

I'm curious about this one myself.  I understand a lot of those plasmoids are plasma 5 and probably won't be updated.  I'm gonna guess a plasma 6 update would be regarded as a whole new thing and not an update.  I have noticed that plasma 6 plasmoids I have downloaded aren't automatically updating.  Could be wrong but I could've sworn they did that in plasma 5.

#3 2024-03-12 17:24:18

V1del
Forum Moderator

Get new stuff interfaces with store.kde.org and should relevantly get updated when they see an update there (via get new stuff as well) is that not the case?

#4 2024-03-12 17:45:55

tdtooke

I'm at work so I can't look at my linux desktop with plasma 6 but is 'Get new stuff' something inside of Discover?  At any rate I'll find it when I get home and give that a try.

#5 2024-03-12 18:23:30

V1del
Forum Moderator

Not directly, it's the stuff you get when clicking "get plasmoids" and similar while in the "Add widget" submenu of the edit mode for example.

#6 2024-03-12 22:07:15

Salkay

V1del wrote:

Get new stuff interfaces with store.kde.org and should relevantly get updated when they see an update there (via get new stuff as well) is that not the case?

No, that's not the case. Just to be explicit, I right-click on a panel > Enter Edit Mode > Add Widgets... > Get New Widgets... > Download New Plasma Widgets. I can then select Show Only Updatable Entries. This didn't work previously when I knew there was an update possible. In addition, Show Only Installed Entries indeed shows all manually-installed widgets on one system, but on another only shows 3 of 5.

In contrast, if I right-click on a panel > Enter Edit Mode > Add Widgets... > change the filter from All Widgets to Uninstallable, I can see all 5 widgets.

Sorry, are you saying widgets "should get updated" automatically, or is this a section that we would have to check manually?

I also found System Settings > System > Software Update > Update Software. I have this set to Manually (instead of Automatically), but I also have Notification frequency set to Daily. I presumed this would still notify me of updates automatically, then I'd just need to click a button, but I'm not sure if that is the case. FWIW I suspect I had this setting in Plasma 5, but I never received any notifications.

Board footer