You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-26 05:01:35

teh_misteik

VirtualBox is not running my Arch Linux VM

So today I was trying to make an arch linux virtual machine on my arch linux system, but whenever i try to start it, it shows me an error message saying:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

Can somebody help me out please? I tried running /sbin/vboxconfig as the error message told me to, but there was no file in the /sbin/ called vboxconfig.

Arch Linux newbie here

Thanks for reading my signature, but I'm afraid there is nothing interesting to see over here. So I don't know why are you still reading this. Okay I should admit that you are curious, so if you are still reading this far, congratulations!       

#2 2024-03-26 05:05:51

Scimmia
Fellow

Re: VirtualBox is not running my Arch Linux VM

What host modules did you install? What kernel do you use? Have you read the VirtualBox wiki page?

#3 2024-03-28 12:42:40

teh_misteik

Scimmia wrote:

What host modules did you install? What kernel do you use? Have you read the VirtualBox wiki page?

I installed virtualbox-host-dkms. it still shows the same message with virtualbox-host-modules-arch.

Arch Linux newbie here

Thanks for reading my signature, but I'm afraid there is nothing interesting to see over here. So I don't know why are you still reading this. Okay I should admit that you are curious, so if you are still reading this far, congratulations!       

#4 2024-03-28 14:02:24

Scimmia
Fellow

So that's 1 out of the three questions...

#5 2024-03-28 17:11:13

teh_misteik

Scimmia wrote:

So that's 1 out of the three questions...

How do i know my kernel? and i have read the virtualbox wiki page. im kinda feeling like a stupid and im new to arch.

Arch Linux newbie here

#6 2024-03-28 22:46:40

Scimmia
Fellow

Well you installed it and configured your bootloader to use it, so...

uname -r should give you an idea. The VirtualBox wiki page should have made it clear that you must know what kernel you're running to choose what to install, and if you use dkms, you need the corresponding header package.

Board footer