You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-26 18:06:44

archiedummy

Can't boot after shrinking root (/) to expand /home

Hello, I tried few stuff, e.g
# mount -a
mount: /home: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/nvme0n1p8, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

Was running out of space after downloading/launching/messing with android studio, it even shutdown my browser instance with all my opened tabs without my consent (RAM wasn't near maxed out). So I used the disk resizer and restarted but then it always get me on the black console view "You are in emergency mode. After logging in, type "journalctl -xb" to view blabla

Used vi to change the /etc/fstab file line regarding root folder from error stuff to "defaults" but it didn't solve the issue.

Was trying couple live USB sticks, kali 2020ish didn't work, kubuntu 20 did work but couldn't move the 60 gigs unallocated (coming from root partition) past the extreme right of home partition. So I re-burnt it to mint edge 6.X kernel, couldn't boot. Then LMDE debian latest, couldn't boot on it either. Now trying latest ubuntu just to try gparted instead of common disk resizer utility, but it won't finish downloading.

Any CLI I could try in the meantime?

#2 2024-03-27 09:55:09

ua4000

Re: Can't boot after shrinking root (/) to expand /home

Hi,
without providing more infos, e.g. complete logs, exact program names which caused the issue, exact steps done with this so called "disk resizer", it will be difficult for us to get you any advise.

To be sure: you use Arch Linux ? How did you install it ? Partition layout, used filesystems... ?

Last edited by ua4000 (2024-03-27 13:33:05)

#3 2024-03-27 13:30:11

seth

Re: Can't boot after shrinking root (/) to expand /home

I used the disk resizer and restarted

Online repartitioning would be suicide - my best guess from the error message is that the you changed the partition table but didn't resize the filesystems before?
In that case, recreating the *exact* previous partiition table should help you out - as long as you didn't write around on the repartitioned devices.

Board footer