You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-28 22:54:34

OpusOne

meld does not retrieve comparison history upon starting it

Hi, for anyone using meld as a diff/merge tool: the latest version does not retrieve the comparison history anymore when you start it, which I think was a handy feature. (History icon in the toolbar.) The history  on startup is always empty.
Context: under Plasma 6/Wayland, if that makes any difference. meld 3.22.2.

If you do a comparison, the history list will show it, until you quit meld. If you relaunch meld, the history list is empty. It used to show the previous comparisons.

To further try and debug this, I found out that meld was saving the comparison history in: ~/.local/share/meld as .meldcmp files. For instance: recent-e66wpd5s.meldcmp

But meld doesn't seem to load it when it restarts. So, basically, it does save recent comparisons in these files, but is unable to reload them.

If anyone here uses meld, can confirm they also have this problem, that would be interesting.

#2 2024-03-29 07:11:53

tethys

Re: meld does not retrieve comparison history upon starting it

Hi OpusOne, I can confirm what you found out. I am however a new user (so I don't know how it was before), I just installed meld 3 days ago and wondered why it saves the file you mentioned but it is unable to load it. I also noticed that if you just open and close meld that file gets deleted.

#3 2024-03-29 21:12:42

OpusOne

Re: meld does not retrieve comparison history upon starting it

Alright, yes, that confirms what I saw.

The reason the .meldcmp file gets deleted if you start meld, do no comparison, and quit it, is precisely because since it doesn't read the history (for some reason) when you start it, when it exits, it considers there is no history to save and deletes any .meldcmp file that may be saved, probably to clean things up.

I guess I should open a ticket, I have to find out where the meld development happens.

Board footer