You are not logged in.

#1 2024-03-31 14:20:16

Nilab

Intel I219-V onboard NIC not working after kernal upgrade

The drivers for my intel I219-V onborad NIC on my Asrock B365M Pro4 are, presumably, not working in the latest kernel (6.5.0.9-generic) and I'm having trouble installing the drivers.
Can't access internet, can't get IPhone tethering to work without going into live environment and installing packages - just stay in Ubuntu live environment with chroot where it works.
Ip link and Ip a only return loopback
note - I'm chrooted in via Ubuntu live environment, some stuff might be different
In this post I've tried installing two different drivers and making an exhaustive list of my actions and outcomes, so it's fairly long.

Install these drivers

Unzip drivers, go to

unzippedfolder/APPS/BootUtil/Linux_x64 

Run ./bootutil64e

Error: Connection to QV driver failed - please reinstall it!

Intel(R) Ethernet Flash Firmware Utility
BootUtil version 1.40.05.0
Copyright (C) 2003-2023 Intel Corporation

ERROR: The adapter (location 0:31.6) cannot be initialized due to inaccessible device memory.
Update the device driver and reboot the system before running this utility again.
Consult the utility documentation for more information.

Type BootUtil -? for help

Port Network Address Location Series  WOL Flash Firmware                Version
==== =============== ======== ======= === ============================= =======
  1   (Cannot initialize adapter)

./install in unzippedfolder/APPS/BootUtil/Linux_x64/DRIVER returns:

Extracting archive...OK!
Compiling the driver...OK!
Skipping directory creation for driver installation as it already exists.
Removing existing iqvlinux.ko driver...OK
Copying iqvlinux.ko driver file to /lib/modules directory...OK!
Driver installation verification...depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.order at /lib/modules/6.5.0-9-generic: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin at /lib/modules/6.5.0-9-generic: No such file or directory
depmod: WARNING: could not open modules.builtin.modinfo at /lib/modules/6.5.0-9-generic: No such file or directory
modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'iqvlinux': Exec format error
rmmod: ERROR: Module iqvlinux is not currently loaded
Installed!

Rebooting and checking ip link returns nothing
As you can see in the output for ./install the iqvlinux module can't be loaded. This module is included in the drivers, at

unzippedfolder/APPS/BootUtil/Linux_x64/DRIVER/iqvlinux 

modinfo iqvlinux returns:

filename:       /lib/modules/6.5.0-9-generic/updates/drivers/net/ethernet/intel/iqvlinux.ko
version:        1.2.0.28
license:        GPL
description:    1.2.0.28
author:         Intel Corporation 
srcversion:     347032A1379F5F7D2A4F4CF
depends:        
retpoline:      Y
name:           iqvlinux
vermagic:       6.8.2-arch2-1 SMP preempt mod_unload 

modprobe iqvlinux returns:

modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'iqvlinux': Exec format error 

Seeing as though this didn't work, I tried to install the e1000 drivers
Untar/unzip the tar.gz file
cd into untarred directory and follow the README

# make install 

in untarredfolder/src returns:

echo "*** The target kernel has CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL enabled, but" ; echo "*** the signing key cannot be found. Module signing has been" ; echo "*** disabled for this build." ; make  ccflags-y=" -std=gnu11" -C "/usr/src/linux" CONFIG_=m CONFIG_MODULE_SIG=n CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL= M="/home/Balls/Downloads/ice-1.13.7/src"   NEED_AUX_BUS="0"  modules
*** The target kernel has CONFIG_MODULE_SIG_ALL enabled, but
*** the signing key cannot be found. Module signing has been
*** disabled for this build.
make[1]: Entering directory '/usr/lib/modules/6.8.2-arch2-1/build'
  CC [M]  /home/Balls/Downloads/ice-1.13.7/src/ice_txrx_lib.o
/home/Balls/Downloads/ice-1.13.7/src/ice_txrx_lib.c: In function ‘ice_finalize_xdp_rx’:
/home/Balls/Downloads/ice-1.13.7/src/ice_txrx_lib.c:385:17: error: implicit declaration of function ‘xdp_do_flush_map’; did you mean ‘xdp_do_flush’? [-Werror=implicit-function-declaration]
  385 |                 xdp_do_flush_map();
      |                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      |                 xdp_do_flush
cc1: some warnings being treated as errors
make[3]: *** [scripts/Makefile.build:243: /home/Balls/Downloads/ice-1.13.7/src/ice_txrx_lib.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** [/usr/lib/modules/6.8.2-arch2-1/build/Makefile:1921: /home/Balls/Downloads/ice-1.13.7/src] Error 2
make[1]: *** [Makefile:240: __sub-make] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory '/usr/lib/modules/6.8.2-arch2-1/build'
make: *** [Makefile:180: all] Error 2

This make command tries to make and load the kernel module "ice", and fails.
"modinfo ice" and "modprobe ice" output:

modinfo: ERROR: Module ice not found. 
  modprobe: FATAL: Module ice not found in directory /lib/modules/6.5.0-9-generic 

There's not much documentation for the first drivers I installed. I found some instructions on an ask Ubuntu forum that I would link to if I could find it
here is some install instructions on the second set of drivers I installed. The included README at /untarredfolder/README is useful, but you'll have to download it to look at it.
Both drivers won't install, no idea what to do. I haven't got internet on my system and I have to chroot just to install packages. Not sure whether these errors are produces by user error or my system just isn't compatible for some reason.

Pls help

#2 2024-03-31 14:36:57

ewaller
Administrator

Re: Intel I219-V onboard NIC not working after kernal upgrade

This does not look like an Arch system.  Why is your kernel so old?  We are at 6.8.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#3 2024-03-31 14:52:50

Nilab

ewaller wrote:

This does not look like an Arch system.  Why is your kernel so old?  We are at 6.8.

Was chrooted in on Ubuntu like I said. When booted in normally it says 6.8, I’ll have to edit this in the morning

#4 2024-03-31 16:13:31

ewaller
Administrator

But you are trying to build a kernel module.   If you are building it for Arch, you really need to be using the Arch kernel and its include files.

Nothing is too wonderful to be true, if it be consistent with the laws of nature -- Michael Faraday
Sometimes it is the people no one can imagine anything of who do the things no one can imagine. -- Alan Turing
---
How to Ask Questions the Smart Way

#5 2024-03-31 22:35:21

Nilab

ewaller wrote:

But you are trying to build a kernel module.   If you are building it for Arch, you really need to be using the Arch kernel and its include files.

I remember trying to do all this last night in my Arch system with the same results. I’ll try this all again and edit my post if I have to. Never thought about chrooting and using different kernels. Should I delete the existing modules before making them agaiin?

Board footer