You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-02 05:59:43

javaduke95

libtrash issue with trashon [resolved]

Hi, I'm relatively new to Arch (been using it on and off until lately when I decided to stop using Windows), but I've managed to get everything I need going thus far.  When I installed libtrash, I noticed that trashon and trashoff options do not work properly.  Upon scrutiny I found that the source code in trashon was setting LD_PRELOAD to the wrong path (perhaps because libtrash.so has upgraded from 2.2 to 2.4).

Once I changed the line:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/bin/libtrash.so.2.2

To this:

export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/bin/libtrash.so

It has been working well.  libtrash.so.2.4 is symlinked to libtrash.so, so it should have no problem.  The same thing applies to /etc/profile.d/libtrash.sh

Just my two cents for the Arch users that may have spent hours on getting libtrash to work only to find that it's required a simple change.

I have one question, though:  where would I go to post something like this so the maintainers of the packages would know about it?

Thanks,
Howard

Last edited by javaduke95 (2007-02-02 06:00:37)

#2 2007-02-02 06:24:05

javaduke95

Re: libtrash issue with trashon [resolved]

For those that might need it, libtrash is a library that captures unlinking and renaming system calls to the Kernel.  Essentially, whenever the system tries to delete a file, libtrash, if enabled, will move that file to a designated trash folder instead.  This works outside the implementation of Gnome, KDE, or any GUI.  It is a low level implementation that works even with disasterous command line "rm -rf *" type of commands.

If you've always hated the Trash folders in Gnome, Thunar, or KDE, then just leave libtrash alone.  If you're clumsy like me and screw up regular expressions with rm all the time, it's a pretty sweet program.

2 more cents on me.

#3 2007-02-02 19:59:08

Lone_Wolf
Forum Moderator

Re: libtrash issue with trashon [resolved]

javaduke95 wrote:

I have one question, though:  where would I go to post something like this so the maintainers of the packages would know about it?

To submit a bug for archlinux : http://bugs.archlinux.org/

For the author of libtrash :

To ask questions, suggest modifications or report bugs just email me (email address found at the bottom of the page).

Manuel Arriaga - Email me at marriaga followed by @ stern . nyu . edu

(copied from the home page for libtrash)

Disliking systemd intensely, but not satisfied with alternatives so focusing on taming systemd.

(A works at time B)  && (time C > time B ) ≠  (A works at time C)

Board footer