You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-06 19:58:40

NewArchUser0001

gnome-system-monitor v46.0 memory leak?

Anyone notice the high amount of ram usage that gnome-system-monitor version 46.0 is racking up when you leave it run for days on end?

The other day i checked the memory used inside gnome-system-monitor and was shocked to see it consuming 1.5 GB after being running for days. So i exited the program and started it back up and noticed when you first load it up it consumes about 70 MB of ram and then continues to rise while it runs for days on end, right now its just under using 800 MB with in 2 days of runtime and I'm sure in the next day or two that will climb to well over a GB.

Note: when using the following terminal command it to shows gnome-system-monitor using high amounts of ram.

ps aux  | awk '{print $6/1024 " MB\t\t" $11}'  | sort -n

#2 2024-04-06 23:32:47

HalosGhost
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: gnome-system-monitor v46.0 memory leak?

Moved to Applications and DEs.

Also, remember to use code tags to post commands and output in more accessible ways.

All the best,

-HG

#3 2024-04-08 15:08:46

NewArchUser0001

Re: gnome-system-monitor v46.0 memory leak?

Just as a side note to anyone looking into this after doing more testing it seems like the memory leak is stemming from the Resources tab of gnome-system-monitor. When leaving it on that tab that shows the graphic displays even when the program is not in the foreground aka being displayed it still chews up the ram. If you switch to the Processes tab  or the File Systems tab the memory usage does not go up. As of right now after having the program running for 4 days I'm at 1.3 GB of ram used. The next thing i will do is a file a bug report to the gnome-system-monitor project and see what they say.

When monitoring the ram usage of the program when its running with the Resources tab being displayed its using half a MB of ram for every minute that screen is displayed.

Board footer