You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-12 02:46:50

green726

AMD GPU module won't load/broken across multiple distros, windows

Hello, I have been having some truly horrible issues the past few months and (at this point) I'm not sure if it's hardware or software related (I believe driver-issues, but again, it honestly might be hardware).

I am using an HP Pavilion 15 laptop (Ryzen 5 5000 series with integrated gpu) on Endeavouros (but I have also tried nixos and fedora and encountered the same issue).

Essentially, if I add the "amdgpu" module to my grub module preloading, I boot into a black screen (unless I nomodeset). If I do the nomodeset with the amd gpu I boot fine but with incorrect resolution. If I do neither nomodeset nor "amdgpu" preloading with grub, I boot perfectly fine with the correct resolution (I am also manually setting my edid file with an edid bin I pulled from a windows install on my laptop) but the "amdgpu" module is not loaded (doesn't appear in lsmod and inxi -G shows driver: N/A). I am currently running plasma 6 on wayland which (as long as I can get booted) works properly.

However, before this issue began a few months ago, I used Hyprland and absolutely love it (spent forever configuring) but now unfortunately cannot as it throws an "m_swlr renderer was null" error if I run it without amdgpu loaded. I have tried to manually modprobe amdgpu which then simply throws the error "modprobe: ERROR: could not insert 'amdgpu': Invalid argument"

My windows install on this laptop (dual booting to try and fix the issue) works mostly fine but (occasionally) completely flips out. The display just goes blue and white and (I don't really know how else to describe it) glitchy. This sometimes happens on linux if I boot with "amdgpu" preloaded and nomodeset. The same issue that I just described (or the similar black screen) also occurs in all live-iso installers unless I use the nomodeset version. This is what has been making me think it is a hardware issue but then the fact that kde plasma6 works fine with the aforementioned weirdly-specific settings makes me think not.

There are no errors related to any of this in journalctl or dmesg. Unfortunately, my HP laptop has a locked-down BIOS so I really don't have many settings (no access to advanced menu). Due to this, I can't try a few fixes I've found online for similar issues (enabling IOMMU support and disabling UEFI in favor of EFI).

I'm sorry for all of this text, but (as you might be able to tell) I have probably spent a solid 30 hours over the past three days attempting to fix this and I am at my wit's end now. If I can't resolve this easily, I will just be buying a new laptop.

Thanks in advance!

#2 2024-04-12 02:53:52

green726

Re: AMD GPU module won't load/broken across multiple distros, windows

Now I get the black screen without nomodeset even if I don't early load the amdgpu driver. I'm not sure what I changed but it just no longer works (my manual edid setting fix seems to no longer work). Also, I forgot to mention, sometimes hyprland throws the error "mesa cannot load simpledrm" instead of the "m_swlr renderer" one.

Board footer