You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-13 17:44:51

user11

Managing an organized system.

I was reading about NixOS through the last days, I like the ideas associated with it:
1 - Overall stability within the scope of packages due to the "correctness" of the nix functional language.
2 - Organized way of configuring the system.
3 - Clean home directory (I really don't like the dot files flood, I want to configure my ".config" and the rest of the dot files through a script language)
4 - Reproducibility.

A problem that repelled me from going further in NixOS is a limitation (probably due to the strict package system), that is: I never know when I'll get stuck and have to exhaust myself (and lose time) to manage something that is not compatible with the OS.
For example: Getting Haskell libraries/packages from Hackage (there are limitations to get them in Nix) or using GHCup for installing/managing versions of Haskell tools, it turns into a pain, although there's some development with haskell.nix; also, Haskell is not the only thing there's for me in the OS, there are other utilities/languaes/tools I might want to use, I never know when I'll get blocked.
Maybe these limitations wouldn't be needed if more developers/maintainers put more thought on compatibility (thus maybe Nix wouldn't even exist?), but that's not the case.

Can anyone give me suggestions to start to implement at least a more organized system with the points 2, 3, 4 I pointed above?
Thanks.

Last edited by user11 (2024-04-14 03:06:09)

#2 2024-04-18 11:41:18

Dieter@be
Forum Fellow
Website

Re: Managing an organized system.

I think https://github.com/CyberShadow/aconfmgr is an amazing tool to manage arch systems. that plus whatever dotfiles manager you prefer for your home directory.

< Daenyth> and he works prolifically
4 8 15 16 23 42

Board footer