You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-15 13:35:44

mine_diver

Steam is very unstable

Hello

Recently, I helped a friend install Arch Linux.
Everything went smooth, until we installed Steam.

For some reason, there are times Steam takes tens of minutes to start, and might just show an un-googleable error:

Something went wrong while displaying this content. Refresh
Error Reference: Client Login_XXXXXXX_XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Cannot read properties of undefined (reading 'steam_id')

However, when it does start, the download speed is extremely slow. His internet speed is 1000 Mb/s, while in Steam it's usually ~40 Mb/s and at best it was 400 Mb/s but never reached that point again. We did test it on speedtest.net, and it was consistently around 600 Mb/s, so it is an issue with Steam. It also wasn't an issue on Windows 10, so it's somehow related to the Linux version of Steam.

But the issues don't end here. Sometimes, internet connection (only inside Steam itself) cuts completely. It usually resolves itself after like half a minute, but it's very annoying as Steam won't continue downloading an update / sync cloud / etc.

What we have tried:
1. Both native and flatpak versions of Steam.
2. Disabling HTTP2 as per https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam- … sues/10248 but it didn't seem to have a major impact on anything.
3. Checking if NetworkManager is enabled and running. It is.

The DE is GNOME if that matters, though I highly doubt that because I basically followed him through the same installation process as I did on my PC and Steam works fine for me.

Does someone know what's going on? Thanks.

Board footer