You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-16 21:28:06

Extending6905

dbus-broker fails in dracut's initramfs

Hello,

Since the dbus migration to dbus-broker, dbus fails to start in the dracut-made initramfs.

The reason is that the initramfs' dbus.socket systemd file refuses to start as there's no dbus.service file (it's only under the name dbus-broker.service)

This is specific to Archlinux (because of https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/ … =heads#L22 : the alias for dbus to dbus-broker is removed). If I reinstall the alias (as it is in the vanilla dbus-broker upstream) then the issue is fixed.

I also tried to make a gentle override, by creating /etc/systemd/system/dbus-broker.service.d/override.conf, but this file is not being copied/installed by dracut, so it does not work.

Thus my questions:
- why is the alias removed ? and would it be feasible to please re-add it ? May I open a bug for it, because it is not clear what problem this patch solves. The alternative would be adding a patch specific to Archlinux in dracut to undo what Archlinux does to dbus-broker, but it feels like increasing the AC  because the heater makes temperature too hot (I think it's a futurama reference).

- alternatively: is there any nicer workaround, rather than manually editing /usr/lib/systemd/system/dbus-broker.service ?

Quick note about my personal situation, because I know that dbus in initramfs is not being liked by many, and to avoid the "why do you need dbus in initrd?" question straight away: I need Networking in initramfs, to decrypt my disk at boot time (clevis). And the default dracut module for network is NetworkManager, which requires DBus (and I would really prefer to avoid having to switch to legacy)

Board footer