You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-30 01:48:44

novet

[SOLVED]glibc and internet connectivity gone after system update froze

EDIT: SOLVED

had to do a chroot recovery and do things i probably shouldn't do, but it worked

had to use pacman-static, then cleared keyring, then realised that pacman-key needed a library that was seemingly corrupted,
then disabled key signature checking, then found this https://unix.stackexchange.com/a/664814 which worked,
ran:

pacman-key --init
pacman-key --populate archlinux

re-enabled key signature checking and could use yay and pacman again, exited the chroot, unmounted, rebooted and was back in business.

-----

i was just doing a system update by just running

yay

all of a sudden my system froze and i didn't want to shut it down just in case but a while later it was still frozen so i gave up and shut it down (bad idea in hindsight).

tried to boot back up and didn't get any GUI so opened up a terminal and was greeted with:

flatpak: error while loading shared libraries: /usr/lib/libarchive.so.13: file too short
zsh: corrupt history file /home/<my name>/.zsh_history

tried running ldconfig and got a bunch of messages saying "File <some library> is empty, not checked" including libarchive.so, someone recommended using pacman-static, so i downloaded
that from another machine, onto a drive, mounted and tried to run

sudo ./pacman-static -Syu 

but failed to retrieve all the db files from the mirrors. can ping localhost, can't ping anything else (1.1.1.1 for example).

disabled networkmanager and rebooted, then tried to connect to my mobile phone's hotspot with iw, following https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Networ … n/Wireless, whenever i run

iw dev wlan0 link 

it shows i'm connected:

Connected to de:ad:be:ef:ca:fe (on wlan0)
SSID: mobile
freq: 2437.0
RX: 11232 bytes (159 packets)
TX: 7652 bytes (50 packets)
signal: -35 dBm
tx bitrate: 52.0 MBit/s MCS 11
bss flags: short-preamble short-slot-time
dtim period: 2
beacon int: 100

but my mobile doesn't show that my machine is connected nor can i ping anything remote.

honestly stumped, anything i may have missed or any other way i can recover?

EDIT:

sometimes when i run

sudo iw dev wlan0 connect mobile 

i get:

[ 1778.340063] FW error in SYNC CMD SCAN_REQ_UMAC
[ 1778.342288] Scan failed! ret -5
command failed: Input/output error (-5)
[ 1779.239026] iwlwifi 0000:00:14.3: WRT: Invalid buffer destination

Last edited by novet (2024-04-30 04:48:46)

Board footer