You are not logged in.

#1 2024-04-30 11:29:03

mtk089

iPhone Passthrough to iTunes in Wine. Is it even possible?

I only maintain a Windows partition to interact with my iPhone through iTunes, mainly to upload audio books and occasionally update my OpenVPN configuration. 

I'd like to finally ditch it if possible.  (I know it would be easier to get an Android phone, but my entire family extensively uses FaceTime.) 

I have iTunes running pretty well within wine, but I cannot get it to recognize my iPhone.  libimobiledevice and usbmuxd are both installed, and I have used gvfs-gphoto2 successfully in the past, so I know I can interact with my phone with Arch.

I've tried mounting with ifuse and passing the mount point though without success

Is this even possible or am I just wasting my time?

Last edited by mtk089 (2024-04-30 11:31:18)

#2 2024-04-30 13:53:41

Nikolai5

Re: iPhone Passthrough to iTunes in Wine. Is it even possible?

Unless you mean for purchased content from itunes, you don't need that to manage the files on your phone.

I have an iPhone 14 and with libimobiledevice installed, I am able to plug my phone in and have it mount as if it was external storage, with access to all the folders I'd need to import or export music, photos, videos, files, ringtones, etc.

Have you confirmed that the usbmuxd.service is actually running, once your phone is plugged in via USB, check the service with sudo systemctl status usbmuxd.service
It was very much plug and play for me, KDE Plasma picked up that it was there mounted through dolphin.

Ryzen 7 1800X | AMD 7800XT | KDE Plasma
I can't wait to play my favourite game, wine64-preloader.

#3 2024-05-01 12:04:18

mtk089

Re: iPhone Passthrough to iTunes in Wine. Is it even possible?

Yes, the usbmuxd.service is running.

I have played around with the direct access connection and I can do most of what I need to do through that normally.

But I still find that I need iTunes for a few things.

If It can't work at this point, I'm fine with that.  I was just curious if someone out there had Wine working with iTunes with phone connected, before I devote too much time to an endeavor that won't work.

Board footer