You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-03 09:33:12

b42

Disable > signs when replying neomutt

Is it possible to disable these > >> >>> signs when replying in neomutt?

#2 2024-05-03 12:08:01

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

Re: Disable > signs when replying neomutt

Disable them?  What do you mean?  Do you not want to include quoted content at all (in replies and forwards)?  Or do you just want these characters hidden from view while editting?

They must be there for the message to be interpreted properly by recipients.

Last edited by Trilby (2024-05-03 12:08:43)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

#3 2024-05-03 12:18:12

b42

Trilby wrote:

Disable them?  What do you mean?  Do you not want to include quoted content at all (in replies and forwards)?  Or do you just want these characters hidden from view while editting?

They must be there for the message to be interpreted properly by recipients.

Okay, I see. They must be there in order for quoting to work.

Or do you just want these characters hidden from view while editting?

yes, is it possible to hide them from view while viewing the email content and editing?

#4 2024-05-08 17:27:23

b42

so is it possible to hide them while viewing content and editing it?

#5 2024-05-08 18:27:19

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

I'm not sure - but I do know that those are two different questions.  Neomutt has it's own internal pager for viewing (which you may be able to substitute an alternative for), while editing is done in your choice of editor (vim is typical).

So for editing the answer is certainly yes it's possible - but how will depend on several factors.  I don't know how to achieve this in vim off the top of my head, but I suspect you can.  For viewing in the built-in pager, I suspect it's unlikely (without modifying the source code), though you can change the highlighting / coloring including setting the foreground and background the same, so those characters would not show up themselves, though they'd still take up the same horizontal space.  If you can use an alternative pager for viewing, then it's certainly be possible, but the exact steps would depend entirely on the pager in use (for viewing a simple filter may suffice if the viewed content can be piped through something like `sed "s/^[ >]*>//"`).

Last edited by Trilby (2024-05-08 18:30:28)

"UNIX is simple and coherent..." - Dennis Ritchie, "GNU's Not UNIX" -  Richard Stallman

Board footer