You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-05 18:58:55

stmok

What do you think of my article?

I've recently written a blog entry at the TuxMachines website.

Year of the Linux desktop? Who cares!
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/13138

I would like your feedback. Pretty please. big_smile

The most important thing the hacker community does is write better code. Our deeds are the best propaganda we have. -Eric S. Raymond

#2 2007-02-07 04:50:19

jb

Re: What do you think of my article?

Just thought I'd make the counter-arguement.

Maybe it was just how I read it, but it seems to dismiss the non-contributing userbase as irrelevant, suggesting the average user learn how to program.  Just having sheer numbers of users is very important; that's what gets better vendor support, software and hardware alike.  A company will feel more pressured to support a platform with 40% of the computing population than the platform with 3%.  Increased vendor support reads as a better investment to companies, banks, and government agencies since it's being taken seriously by a significant portion of the industry, which will expand the userbase even further. 

I stress the importance of corporate backing because say if tomorrow, linux lost all of its corporate backing; development would come to a crawl compared to its current momentum, and HP won't be there to donate powerful servers for the next kernel.org server upgrade. 

Having a "Year of the Desktop Linux" would bring that surge of users, and that's why it is important.

#3 2007-02-07 09:58:35

brain0
Developer

stmok wrote:

I've recently written a blog entry at the TuxMachines website.

Year of the Linux desktop? Who cares!
http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/13138

I would like your feedback. Pretty please. big_smile

I started reading it and read about half of it. Then I stopped. I won't read it to the end or discuss it, as it only leads to trivial discussions.

#4 2007-02-07 10:19:00

Zoranthus

I think there are quite some greate developers-to-be that joined the light side because of some buzzyword like "ZOMG LINUX DESTOPZ OF TEH YEARR!1". Media presence is everything. big_smile

Last edited by Zoranthus (2007-02-07 10:19:43)

#5 2007-02-07 12:24:34

chaosgeisterchen

I aggree with the opinion, that it's way better to do something than to complain about it.

Being productve is the best thing you can do for open source. It would not work without voluntary productivity.

Last edited by chaosgeisterchen (2007-02-07 12:24:53)

celestary
Intel Core2Duo E6300 @ 1.86 GHz
kernel26
KDEmod current repository

Board footer