You are not logged in.

#1 2024-05-31 23:59:42

ipyakuza

Dolphin File Manager Unable to Configure Default Apps for Filetypes

I started using Dolphin over Thunar recently and liking it a lot.  One problem I have is I cannot seem to set the default file viewer/app for various file extension types.  If I click on a .mp4 file for example I get this popup to choose which application I want to use.  The list is empty but I can get to /usr/bin and choose whatever apps I want in this case ffplay.  At the bottom of the window is a checkbox which is "Remember application association for all files of type MPEG4-video (video/mp4).  This is clearly what I want and I check it.  After clicking ok it runs as expected.  The problem is once I close ffplay and try to click the file again it seems to forget that I ever tried to associate ffplay with this file type.  Almost seems like there is either a config file missing issue, permissions issue on the config file, or possibly a missing module/package for Dolphin to handle this.  When I asked ChatGPT I got this:

Example: Setting the Default Viewer for JPEG Files

Open System Settings.
    Go to Applications > File Associations.
    Search for "jpeg" in the search bar.
    Select "image/jpeg" from the list.
    In the right pane, drag your preferred image viewer (e.g., Gwenview) to the top of the list.
    Click "Apply" to save the changes.

However in the System Settings there is no Applications menu option.  Seems like a module of some type is missing.  Any insights on this are appreciated.

#2 2024-06-01 08:20:13

arojas
Developer

#3 2024-06-01 14:04:06

ipyakuza

Re: Dolphin File Manager Unable to Configure Default Apps for Filetypes

Thanks for these.  A quick initial search didn't yield much probably because I wasn't looking for mime type keywords.  It looks like this is a recent package change which cause it to broken based on these threads.  Most are hacky work arounds.  I tried a few but backed out as I don't want to do some hack job then when it gets fixed upstream have to untangle and undo all that.  I'll sit back and wait for a legit fix.  Thanks again.

#4 2024-06-01 14:41:22

arojas
Developer

Re: Dolphin File Manager Unable to Configure Default Apps for Filetypes

I wouldn't expect this to be magically fixed any time soon.

Board footer