You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-08 01:11:00

ralvez
Website

Drag and drop not working again in Thunderbird

Several weeks back Thunderbird broke (drag-n-drop stopped working) due to some gtk2 related issues.
The problem was very quickly resolved by a patch to gtk2. Today I noticed that the problem has reappeared.
I'm not sure what is the source of the problem, though, because I have been running updates for the past few days roll but it is definitely back.

I have two systems and both have the same problem as of yesterday... or at least I noticed it yesterday.

Can any one else confirm the problem?

R

#2 2007-02-08 14:53:07

JGC
Developer

Re: Drag and drop not working again in Thunderbird

Be sure to use gtk 2.10.9 and the latest version of thunderbird from the repositories.

Latest Firefox/Thunderbird from repositories with GTK 2.10.6 or before won't work and have your problem
Older firefox/thunderbird with latest GTK from repositories also won't work and have your problem

Solution: latest gtk 2.10.x from repositories in combination with the latest thunderbird/firefox/whatever packages from the repositories.

#3 2007-02-10 00:16:27

ralvez
Website

JGC,
Hum ...  this is very strange.  roll
I have gtk2-2.10.9-2 and FF 2.0.0.1 (from Mozilla.com).
It broke a few weeks back, but then it got fixed with an update of gtk but now it broke again and I cannot figure out what is the problem.

Last edited by ralvez (2007-02-10 00:18:50)

#4 2007-02-10 00:17:56

JGC
Developer

The official mozilla build contains a bug and does not work fine with GTK 2.10.7 and higher. If you insist on using broken software, report the bug to the mozilla developers and tell them to release a version that does not contain the drag and drop bug. I can't help you on this issue.

#5 2007-02-10 00:28:11

ralvez
Website

JGC,

Easy my friend! I do not "insist" on anything.
Matter of fact I did not even know that there was a problem with the "official" version of FF.
I started using the release of  FF/THB back in my days of Slackware and got used to download the software and add it to my distro... and so I did with Arch.

In the past it has never been an issue, so I figured it may be something else (like libraries or the like) because the problem got solved after an update of gtk2 a few weeks back.

Please, do not feel defensive about comments placed in these forums. I understand (I'm a software developer too), it gets to you when all the comments you get seem "negative" or "sound like criticism" but I do have a great deal of respect for the contributions and efforts of all developers. My post was not intended to offend but rather to search for an answer/idea as to how I could approach the problem.

Thanks for your answer.

R

#6 2007-02-10 11:33:44

JGC
Developer

Don't take it personal, it's more like that fact that I don't like the way development goes upstream at mozilla. Even on major release updates (1.0 -> 1.5 and 1.5- -> 2.0) 90% of all our patches apply cleanly. In most cases you won't even notice problems when not applying patches, but in this case, drag and drop is completely broken without the patch.

Board footer