You are not logged in.

#1 2024-06-26 09:45:05

troymcfont

[SOLVED] "Something has gone wrong" on the GDM login

After an upgrade, I cannot log in my GNOME session using GDM anymore. There is a white screen saying "Oh no! Something has gone wrong.".
I have tried to repair it using a USB medium and arch-chroot to access the system, but I had no luck so far. This what I have tried so far:

- Remove nvidia-open and nvidia-utils packages, as I have had some problems with NVIDIA drivers recently.
- Update microcode using

mkinitcpio -P

- Add the following in a `~/.xinitrc` file

export XDG_SESSION_TYPE=x11
exec gnome-session

- Force X11 by disabling Wayland: setting WaylandEnable=False in /etc/gdm/custom.conf
- Reinstall `base base-devel linux gdm gnome_shell gnome_session` packages by first deleting the pacman cache and then using

pacman --cachedir /var/cache/pacman/pkg -S --dbonly base base-devel linux gdm gnome_shell gnome_session
pacman --cachedir /var/cache/pacman/pkg -S base base-devel linux gdm gnome_shell gnome_session

- Reinstall all packages using

pacman -Qnq | pacman -S -

A problem I see is that `uname -r` and `pacman -Qi linux` have mismatching versions: 6.8.8 and 6.9.6, respectively.
EDIT: Actually, when not using the live medium with chroot and using the non-GUI login in the system, the version correctly match.

Also there are two log file I found in /var/log/:
- /var/log/Xorg.0.log: http://0x0.st/XmNQ.txt
- /var/log/Xorg.0.log.old: http://0x0.st/XmNj.txt

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by troymcfont (2024-06-26 14:24:34)

#2 2024-06-26 14:24:17

troymcfont

Re: [SOLVED] "Something has gone wrong" on the GDM login

So I found the problem. It was the mutter-performance package, which substitutes mutter. Uninstalling it and reverting to mutter solved the problem. Also explains why reinstalling all system packages was not working; this is an AUR package.
Maybe something went wrong during the build of mutter-performance last time I updated it and it trigger this issue.

#3 2024-06-26 14:28:26

seth

You've a hybrid graphics system and are running the modesetting driver on the IGP - there's no obvios problem in the xorg log.
Please post your complete system journal for the boot:

sudo journalctl -b | curl -F 'file=@-' 0x0.st

to see what has "gone wrong" ( roll … gnome)

#4 2024-06-26 15:20:25

troymcfont

Thanks for the reply, Seth. I think we crossed messages though. The problem is now resolved smile
Unless you still wanted me to post the logs (which may be lost for that session)? Thanks again anyways!

Last edited by troymcfont (2024-06-26 15:21:18)

Board footer