You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-08 06:33:28

littlehoopoe

[SOLVED] Archinstall script partion endless loop

Hello everyone,

I wasn't able to sign in to the issue tracker (https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/archiso/-/issues)... don't know what's wrong.

So I thought maybe I can address the issue here. I was about to make a clean re-install of arch (#777 big_smile). And was about to try out the archinstall script and discovered that I wasn't able to finish the partition part of the install script. Maybe it's just me, but I have a lot of arch installs by now, manual, archinstall and other arch base distros (I switched to linux 1 year ago and had to test a lot of things ^^): Anyway, first time that i discoverd this weird "bug".

Sorry for my english (not a native speaker).

And a big thanks to everyone who is making arch possible. Amazing distro which is letting me drop windows and macOS <3.

Last edited by littlehoopoe (2024-07-08 17:04:14)

#2 2024-07-08 07:15:13

WorMzy
Forum Moderator
Website

Re: [SOLVED] Archinstall script partion endless loop

Mod note: moving to Archinstall subforum.

Sakura:-
Mobo: MSI MAG X570S TORPEDO MAX // Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X @4.9GHz // GFX: AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT // RAM: 32GB (4x 8GB) Corsair DDR4 (@ 3000MHz) // Storage: 1x 3TB HDD, 6x 1TB SSD, 2x 120GB SSD, 1x 275GB M2 SSD

Making lemonade from lemons since 2015.

#3 2024-07-08 08:20:15

mpan
Website

Hello, littlehoopoe, and welcome to the forums.

Due to the bugtracker facing a lot of spam, to sign in you need to send an email to accountsupport@archlinux.org and ask for manual intervention.

I lack experience with archinstall, but I tried the one from July 2024 ArchISO in QEMU. I selected all defaults. “Install” did create partitions. I killed the script when it attempted to install packages. In other words: can’t reproduce with the defaults.

If you have selected some specific options, please describe that. The best option is to provide archinstall log file. This will aid reproduction. In case you can’t leave archinstall for whatever reason, keep in mind you can always switch to another TTY with Alt+F2 (Alt+F3, Alt+F4, and so on): the account is root, passwordless. If don’t have a place to copy the log to, but can access the internet, there are nice paste services working with curl: 0x0.st, paste.rs, and so on. Keep in mind the log may contain any private information you entered during installation.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#4 2024-07-08 10:41:10

littlehoopoe

@mpan thank you for your fast response!

The loop is in the Menu of archinstall not during the installation process itself. Currently I'm not able to run an install, but will try again later, asap. Will the archinstall. log have the information even without starting the install process?

Thank you in advance!

#5 2024-07-08 13:52:23

mpan
Website

I misunderstood your issue then. So you say that you can’t even configure partitions? Or rather finish that part?

If yes, there will be no meaningful log. Please just describe, what exactly you do. Step by step.

Sometimes I seem a bit harsh — don’t get offended too easily!

#6 2024-07-08 16:48:33

littlehoopoe

Correct, I can't finish the partion part of the archinstall.

Here my steps I do after booting into live usb stick. (using ventory)

# archinstall

- then selecting Mirrors
- defining Locales
- Disk configuration
-- Partitioning
--- Use a best-effort default partition layout
---- Selecting my nvme1n1 drive
---- hitting tab and then enter
----- choosing btrfs or ext4 (tested both) and confirming with the enter key
------ yes for (Would you like to use BTRFS subvolumes with a default structure)
-------  "Use compression" for (Would you like to use compression or disable CoW?
-------- "Partitioning" at step ( Set/Modify the below options) confirming with enter key

aaaaand I'm back again at the first step "Select a partition option" where I can choose "Use a best-effort default partion layout", "Manual Paritiotning" and "Pre-mounted configuration" :-/

after pressing ESC to skip or CTRL+C to reset I can leave this step but without a partioning.

Thanks in advance for your help!

EDIT:

OOOOH BOI.... MY DUMP ASS realisied that I need to klick <---- back at Set/modifiy the below options..... It seems that I was to tiered last time doing this. Good that I'm not able to provide a bug report ^^ Can we delete this thread? big_smile

Last edited by littlehoopoe (2024-07-08 17:00:29)

Board footer