You are not logged in.

#1 2024-07-18 00:16:32

trout420

No visual output during boot process

I recently began looking into booting an efi stub, and created a .nsh script to test booting from. I restarted my machine only to see the backlight on my monitor flash on and off a couple times before being dumped into my display manager. This is new behavior and has only begun after upgrading from an amd 5500XT to a 7600XT. I tried looking at journalctl -b but nothing in there seems to catch my eye as a possible issue. There are some errors and warnings, but as far as I know the journal records events after kernel is booted, so I do not think they are super applicable. Additionally, if I repeatedly pressed the key to enter the bios the boot process will hang with the backlight on, so I am pretty convinced this is an issue with a gpu driver or something like that.

Pretty much anything related to UEFI seems to be shrouded with mystery, and I haven't been able to find any useful resources on the internet. Are there any UEFI logs I would be able to look at? Or any other useful program to analyze the pre-kernel boot process? Thanks!

#2 2024-07-18 10:26:21

V1del
Forum Moderator

Re: No visual output during boot process

Make sure CSM is disabled in your UEFI otherwise you are guaranteed to have a bunch of modesets switching from CSM compat modes to the EFI video modes.

Board footer