You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-12 21:31:52

robcult731

Database: extra – KDE problem

Would just like to start of by saying I've read the user guide and Wiki and am still puzzled sorry, that's not to say they're not both excellent guides though and I am a n00b smile

I've installed Arch 0.7.1, gotten to a command line, logged in as root and want to install KDE

I type in "pacman –S kde" as the guide says but get the message

"error: could not open sync database: extra
have you used –refresh yet?"

What's refresh and why do I need to do it? And also what do I need to do to fully install kde?

Assuming I wasn't the first (and probably the last) to have this sort of newbie problem I used the forums search function and nearly all of the results of a similar nature also wanted their internet connection configured alongside installing KDE – I don't need to be connected to the internet to do this do i? it wasn't the base ISO I used, it was the full version which I assume includes KDE, Gnome etc?

I'd appreciate any help but please bare in mind I'm a n00b – I know there's plenty of other simple to use/install distros but I really want to try out Arch in full GUI mode smile

#2 2007-02-12 21:53:00

archuser

Re: Database: extra – KDE problem

Try "pacman -Sy kde"

the "y" switch means "refresh". You have to basically download the database if you have not already used pacman before.

Having said that, it is always best to use "pacman -Sy": this way it will refresh the database each time you use it and can be sure that you'll get the latest packages that are in the repos.

Hope that helps. smile

edit: Also "man pacman" will give you the manual for pacman with some more info. Also I believe there's a pacman page on the wiki. Also, again (lol), what skottish say below is a good idea. "u" means to upgrade all the installed packages on your system with any newer ones that may be in the repos.

Last edited by archuser (2007-02-12 21:58:42)

Intel i7-920 (stock), ASUS P6TD-Deluxe, AMD R9 270X, RAM: 6GB

#3 2007-02-12 21:53:52

skottish
Forum Fellow

You need to do 'pacman -Syu' to build the pacman database. After that you can start to install software.

Edit-->>

Egads! Beaten!

Last edited by skottish (2007-02-12 21:54:28)

#4 2007-02-12 22:03:01

robcult731

Cheers fellas', I tried that and think I got a step closer? I got line after line of:

"error: cannot connect to *URL*
gethostbyname: Resource temporarily unavailable
failed to synchronize extra
error: could not open sync database: extra
have you used –refresh yet

Do I need to be connected to the internet to install kde?

#5 2007-02-12 22:09:15

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Yes, you need to be connected to the internet to install packages.

Board footer