You are not logged in.

#1 2024-09-19 15:36:29

Sving1024
Website

Building a specific split package.

I've recently took over a pkgbase firefox-nightly-i18n. Well, but when building the package, i need to download nearly 100 sources files, then package nearly 100 packages, although i only need 1 of them, and the package updates twice a day.

I know there is a way to use a var in PKGBUILD to control which package to build and ask the user to define that. But i dont think that's a good idea. Because there's a number of people using aur helper, and they may run sth like `yay -Syu` when updating, then they need to define the var every time.

i visited this post and knowed that there's used to be a useful option but it has been removed. I wonder why the option is removed (i can't access the links there) and are there some other ways to solve this(building specific packge in pkgbase).the wiki page and man page say nothing about it.

#2 2024-09-19 17:31:24

Awebb

Re: Building a specific split package.

I thought there was something about "no interactive PKGBUILDs" in the guidelines, but I seem to have been mistaken: https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/AUR_su … guidelines

#3 2024-09-19 18:21:04

Trilby
Inspector Parrot
Website

That's just a ridiculous PKGBUILD from the start.  A split package is where one (set of) source material with one build process results in content that can be split logically into different packages.  The reverse case, in which many source projects can be assembled into one larger coherent unit does not make a single PKGBUILD - rather each one is a package, and then they can either be in the same group or have a meta-package that depends on them all.

But what we have with this PKGBUILD is a long list of sources that builds a long list of different packages.  That's just silly.  Those should each be separate PKGBUILDs.  I'd be fine to have some PKGBUILD-generator for this, so any revisions only need to be made in one place (like a PKGBUILD.in) and each individual PKGBUILD regenerated.  Then optionally, another meta-package could be made as firefox-nightly-i18n-all that depends on each individual package, just in case anyone really wants all of them.

Last edited by Trilby (2024-09-19 18:22:01)

"UNIX is simple and coherent" - Dennis Ritchie; "GNU's Not Unix" - Richard Stallman

#4 Yesterday 11:20:30

Sving1024
Website

Thanks for your reply. I'll edit the PKGBUILD later.

Board footer