You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-17 06:15:16

Renolc

CD/DVD automounting problem(s)

I know this is a very common topic, but none of the search results I've found so far have been of any help. sad

Basically, I'm trying to get my 2 drives to auto mount both DVDs and CDs.

/etc/fstab (only lines pertaining to my cd/dvd drives)

# DVD-ROM/CD-RW
/dev/hdc    /media/cd     auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide    0    0

# DVD-RW
/dev/hdd    /media/dvd    auto    ro,user,noauto,unhide    0    0

With this, my DVD-ROM/CD-RW can detect and auto-mount DVDs perfectly. But when I stick in an audio CD, it shows up on the Desktop (labeled by the band name), but says

Cannot mount volume.
Unable to mount the volume 'Day_of_Fire'.

mount: I could not determine the
filesystem type, and none was specified

While with my DVD-RW, if I stick in a DVD, it will randomly decide to automount or not. Either way, it will never show up on the desktop. I have to check the mount command to see if it was successful this time.

But with an audio CD, it shows a generic CD icon on the desktop (doesn't label it the specific band like my CD-RW above does) and then refuses to acknowledge it's existence any longer (won't show up in listed mount devices and won't even give me a mount error).

Now, I've been able to get my CD-RW to mount audio CDs by explicitly changing it from auto to iso9660, but that kinda defeats the purpose of making it auto.
Trying the same with my DVD-RW yields the same results as before: a generic icon followed by completely ignoring the CD entirely.

Am I missing something here? Is there some blatantly obvious thing that I've screwed up? Because I can't, for the life of me, figure this out.
And, for the record, I am already part of the appropriate groups.

#2 2007-02-17 08:36:19

noriko
Website

Re: CD/DVD automounting problem(s)

it will not mount or detect the fs automatically because (theoretically, i believe. i may be wrong) an audio disc, contains no file system, which is the same reason u have issues mounting it.

and for the other point, what filesystem are you trying to mount the dvd as ?
if it's a video dvd, you should not need to point it just point ur video play to the device.

The.Revolution.Is.Coming - - To fight, To hunger, To Resist!

#3 2007-02-17 10:05:10

proc

If you use a desktop environment like gnome or kde you should edit fstab and comment the lines about cd and dvd drives. If you use gnome be sure to have gnome-volume-manager in your session. That should fix your problems.
And noriko is right an audio CD has no filesystem.

#4 2007-02-17 15:28:46

Renolc

Ok. I have gnome-volume-manager and I commented out the fstab entries.

That seems to have fixed my DVD-ROM/CD-RW, but my DVD-RW is still acting the exact same as before.:/

That's interesting about no filesystem. Because when it does mount, it always claims to be iso9660.
As for the DVDs, they are mounted using udf.

I probably wasn't clear enough in my initial post.
My problem isn't just with DVD's and CD's. They were just the examples I was using.

Using gnome-volume-manager seems to have fixed my CD-RW, but my DVD-RW still won't mount anything automatically (which is the drive I prefer to use since it's faster).

#5 2007-02-18 20:14:34

Renolc

Nobody has any ideas why my DVD-ROM works fine, but not my DVD-RW?
Because I sure don't.

After some testing, it appears that my DVD-RW works with data CDs (such as the arch install disk).
With audio CDs, it at least (sort of) recognizes it. It places an icon on the desktop labeled "Audio CD" but will never actually mount it. So I can't play it, rip it, or even browse it.
Any sort of DVDs (video or data) it doesn't do anything. No notification at all, no desktop icons, no mention of it with the mount command.

I'm so confused, sad

#6 2007-02-28 20:19:06

alleyoopster

I am playing around with HAL and AutoFS at the moment. I have similar behavior. Audio CD does not get mounted and I believe this is normal. Audio CD's are not mounted, just available as a device. Can you see your audio CD through a cd player or ripper for example. I can see audio cd's with ripperX and in K3b for example. Seeing in them in a file manager I guess should be possible if you can see them in other apps, but this is down to the file manager config I am guessing.

As regards the DVD. Well I have a problem, but the other way round. I can see everything (DVD's CD's Audio and Data) on the DVD-RW, but the DVD-ROM is playing dead. I see nothing, except when I put in a data CD. It is mounted and I can see it and browse it. It is on the slave channel of the IDE bus, but I dual boot into Gentoo and Ubuntu and do not get this problem. (or at least I haven't noticed it).

All I am running is HAL and with no volume manager installed. I try with thunar-volman and the behavior is the same.

I am going to play around some more and will post if I make a monumentous breakthough

Last edited by alleyoopster (2007-02-28 20:45:46)

Board footer