You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-17 21:42:06

Yazcon

Updates trough Pacman

Hi guys,

I just run the pacman -Suy command, to update the packages i have installed.

I just have 1 question.

1 update was from kernel26-x.x.x.x to kernel26.6.20-4 the one released today.

the question is... Does Arch remove the old one? or do i have to do that manually?

Thanks in advance.

Yaz

#2 2007-02-17 22:05:34

Andromea

Re: Updates trough Pacman

Arch will remove the kernel that was updated, but the package will remain at /var/cache/pacman/pkg.

'Pacman -Sc' will remove all the old packages from /var/cache/pacman/pkg, it is not advised to do this untill you are sure the new package works. If it doesn't you can use the old package to fix things.

Last edited by Andromea (2007-02-17 22:06:43)

#3 2007-02-17 22:09:11

Yazcon

Thanks for the quick response.

I just rebooted and everything works perfectly.

I just have 1 more question. What kind of software you guys use to make a backup image of your harddisk under linux? because with my windows computers i use Ghost from Symantec.

What do you guys use?

Yaz

#4 2007-02-18 03:38:33

hybrid

tar and rsync
There is tools like (eg, tons of 'em out there) DAR out there but I think unless one needs to do something fancy that can't be done with regular tools, one should stick with safe standard mechanisms. Just my opinion though. smile

edit: Looking at this post it seems a little short. So, the nice things about Arch (and "Linux" in general) is that everything is stored in plain files. So if you want to back up your system (opposed to a partition) all you have to do is to copy whatever you want to some other place (other HDD, usb-stick, DVD, ...) - if you want your whole system ( / [even though it'd probably be a good idea to exclude /mnt]). The only thing you gotta watch is that the owner,group and permissions are preserved. But that's all.
There are many tools out there, varying from script-collections that do just that for you to programs that will do incremental backups for you (and more). Those often come with graphical frontends too.
If for some reason you want to create an image of a certain partition, you can use dd. dd reads devices on a low-level and copies them blockwise. But if you do that, you should know what you're doing. And then you know how to use dd anyways. So most likely what you want is one of the ways mentioned above. smile

Last edited by hybrid (2007-02-18 03:59:20)

#5 2007-02-18 08:13:03

Yazcon

Thanks Hybrid.

Im going to give it a shot!

yaz

#6 2007-02-18 08:50:54

Galdona

I use Unison to backup (and also synchronize) my files.

But if you want realtime backup/synchronization, there's iFolder (i think it's in aur). Haven't used that one though.

#7 2007-02-18 09:47:24

proc

To make whole partition images you can use part image, booting from a live cd as SystemRescueCD (http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page).
I've successfully used this to backup windows partitions too. Partimage has only one annoyance: you can't write your images directly to a cd-r or dvd-r like you can do with norton ghost... or at least I don't know how to do that.

#8 2007-02-18 09:50:28

drakosha
Website

I think the question was misunderstood, in order to take image if the hd you should use dd . Is there any ready tools like Ghost - i don't know. There's http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l but i never tried it

Last edited by drakosha (2007-02-18 09:58:14)

#9 2007-02-18 11:52:26

Yazcon

Thanks, Ill go compare them

Most of the system configuration files are saved in your personal /home folder right? so if i where to back that up i would have a decent amount of my settings saved?

yaz

#10 2007-02-18 16:43:30

patroclo7

Most of (I would dare to say: all of them) system configurations files are in /etc. In hidden files and dirs in /home/<userfoo> you find the configuration files for userfoo.

Mortuus in anima, curam gero cutis

#11 2007-02-18 17:04:12

hybrid

You're welcome. wink
In home there are pretty much all configuration files for the regular users, yes. System wide settings are stored elsewhere, usually in /etc. But you know best if/what you have edited outside your homedirectory and whether that is critical and needs to be backuped or not. smile

@drakosha: I think we all know that dd comes closer to what Sym*ntec's Gh*st does. But he used Gh*st because under Windoze you can't just copy the system without losing important metadata, so you'll have to create images (even though Gh*st does it a little different from dd anyways, iirc it is possible and pretty much safe to replay the image "on" a bigger partition than the one that was backed up, whereas with dd it's not that easy since it will write the image back _in_to the new partition, so if the partition you are using to restore on doesn't have the exact same filesize you'll have to adjust the filesystem to the partition size which is again pretty critical.
That's why I said in my earlier post that there is dd and that one can use it for low-level backups of partitions but that under Arch he doesn't need that and that I highly doubt, that filesystem level backup strategies would not be sufficient for him (and me, and probably 98% of the users big_smile).
smile

edit: damnit, I'm too slow. When I posted this patroclo7's post wasn't there yet. :>

Last edited by hybrid (2007-02-18 17:09:08)

#12 2007-02-18 20:59:46

Yazcon

I just like to thank you all for taking the time to reply and compairing the different Backup systems

Im not at the stage of running my computer prefectly, some things are not working yet like wifi. for example, so once i get get everything up and running im going to workout how these backup programs work.

What media do you guys usually store your backup? another computer? burn it onto a dvd?

yaz

#13 2007-02-18 21:28:43

elasticdog
Website

I find it's less of a headache to just using something like rsync and put it directly on to another machine's hard drive.  Burning cds or dvds isn't a bad idea for archiving purposes, but you definitely don't want to be doing it on a nightly/weekly basis or whatever.  If you create a script that can run as a cron job and connect to another machine to rsync your files, you can set it up and pretty much forget about it, then just burn copies periodically when you feel like having a more portable backup format.

#14 2007-02-19 08:15:01

Yazcon

I see, well using a script would be very nice, but i dont know how to make those things. Do you have any good pointers? guides maybe?

Thanks Yaz

Board footer