You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-05 10:40:00

Preventing Kernel Upgrade

If I wish to do a system update/upgrade but I don't want to update my Kernel... hand compiled and all... how do I do that?

Thank you

#2 2004-03-05 11:08:50

sarah31
Website

Re: Preventing Kernel Upgrade

in /etc/pacman.conf there is a section called IgnorePkg= where you can put the name of the package you want to not have pacman upgrade.

mind you if you installed your own kerne and have no kernel package installed it won't install. when i was keeping my own kernel i built my own removed the stock kernel package then installed my kernel ... or something like that. i ended out building the kernel twice to be sure that no parts were missing when i had removed the stock kernel.

in the end i went back to using stock kernel for various reasons

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

#3 2004-03-05 12:05:56

I used the stock kernel configuration but I had to recompile because of the Nvidia driver and I don't want to do it again.

I found the option
Thank you :-)

#4 2004-03-05 16:24:58

sarah31
Website

so you know you did not have to recompile the the kernel to get nvidia working. as mentioned in various other threads:

1. download the source for your kernel (or maybe even copy it from the install disc as i think the kernel source is there ... it used to be included) and place it in /usr/src.

2. cd to /usr/src/ and :

mv linux-2.x.x linux-2.x.x-old

3. untar your kernel source

4. run your nvidia installer

5. file a feature request via the bug tracker to have the Makefile in the kernel source that the nvidia driver installer uses be included in the arch kernel package.

changes in the nvidia installer pretty well demand this file to be present now and arch being a binary distro should understand that most people do not want to go through this to install the nvidia drivers (or any other common driver). but if no one files the appropriate feature request it jusat will not ever happen.

AKA uknowme

I am not your friend

Board footer