# pacman -S perlxml                                           ──(\o_ 1 _o/)─┘

Targets: perlxml-2.34-4

Total Package Size:   0.2 MB

Proceed with upgrade? [Y/n] y

checking package integrity... done.
loading package data... done.
checking for file conflicts... 
error: the following file conflicts were found:
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/Japanese_Encodings.msg: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/README: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/big5.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/euc-kr.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-2.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-3.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-4.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-5.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-7.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-8.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/iso-8859-9.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/windows-1250.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/windows-1252.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/x-euc-jp-jisx0221.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/x-euc-jp-unicode.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/x-sjis-cp932.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/x-sjis-jdk117.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/x-sjis-jisx0221.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Encodings/x-sjis-unicode.enc: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Expat.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/LWPExternEnt.pl: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Style/Debug.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Style/Objects.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Style/Stream.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Style/Subs.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/XML/Parser/Style/Tree.pm: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/Parser/Expat/Expat.bs: exists in filesystem
  perlxml: /usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/current/i686-linux-thread-multi/auto/XML/Parser/Expat/Expat.so: exists in filesystem

errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

This is blocking all my other upgrades, and I have no idea how to go about fixing this. Is it a problem with my machine or is the package broken?
Is there a way to exclude a package from "pacman -Syu" so it at least doesn't block all the other updates anymore?

I always roll 20s on my disbelieve checks.
You better believe it.

#2 2007-02-19 20:52:21

PeteMo
Website

Re: perlxml upgrade problem

Have you previously installed this module from pacman , or could you have installed the XML::Parser module from another source (like CPAN) that pacman doesn't know about?

You can ignore packages with the --ignore option to pacman

#3 2007-02-19 21:48:40

kamagurka
Website

It's entirely possible I installed that module from CPAN, I honestly don't remember. How do I check this? What do I do about it?
Also, is it inadvisable to install stuff from CPAN? I always thought it was pretty handy...

I always roll 20s on my disbelieve checks.
You better believe it.

#4 2007-02-19 23:15:49

PeteMo
Website

Installing from CPAN is fine, but pacman won't know about it - thus you can get errors like this.  Basically, pacman is saying that the files from the perlxml package already exist in the filesystem, but I don't know about them, so I don't know what to do.  You can *probably* force the install of the perlxml package, which will cause pacman to simply overwrite the conflicting files.  I've done this several times with modules that I know I installed from CPAN without problems.  However, someone else may have a better answer.

Generally, I find it best to install perl modules from the arch repos if they exist.  Many are in the AUR and you can check out cpan4pacman, a tool that builds packages for you using CPAN sources.

#5 2008-01-17 10:15:58

dale77
Website

Hmmm. Well in my case I had another package installed called perl-xml-parser that owned those files. I removed it, then added perlxml, and all is well...

Board footer