You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-23 22:58:53

CanadaRox

RAID5 Help

I used to use Archlinux a while ago, but went back to Windows for gaming, and I needed Visual Basic for one of my school courses.  Now I've decided to go back to Archlinux.  The problem is, my new computer has 3 HDDs in RAID5, and since I'm not removing my window installation I can't just recreate the array.  I am using the RAID function on my EVGA 680i (which is hardware assisted software from what I have read).  I couldn't find anything useful on the EVGA forums.  I was hoping someone would be able to help me set this up so I don't have to disable my array.  Thanks in advance.

#2 2007-02-24 11:11:22

FUBAR
Website

Re: RAID5 Help

You just need to find out which module supports the RAID controller on your EVGA 680i. Once you load it, you'll get new device nodes in /dev (like /dev/raid/c0d0p0 etc) and you can use those instead of "/dev/sdb1".

It's probably better to rebuild the RAID5 using Linux software RAID though: if your RAID controller dies, or your mainboard, your RAID dies aswell. Unless you happen to find the exact same hardware. With software RAID you simply replace the mainboard, or put the disks in a different system and the RAID is still recognized as such.

A bus station is where a bus stops.
A train station is where a train stops.
On my desk I have a workstation.

Board footer