You are not logged in.

#1 2004-03-05 23:27:26

LavaPunk

Arch questions

After installing Arch and getting it up and running for the most part I now have some questions. I'm sorry if these are repeats, if someone could then point me in the right direction I would appriciate it very much.

First, where should I get the kernel source from?  I installed the 2.6.3 kernel but see no package on pacman for kernel source... where should I get it and what's the best way to install it?

Second as Arch doesn't automatically update your path after package installations how can I manually do this?  And how can I do it only for certain users?  root and my user (lavapunk)?

Third I installed ipkungfu <http://www.linuxkungfu.org/> my favorite firewall (which by the way there should be a package for as I suggest everyone should try it) but am unsure how I should add it to my boot.  I want it to automatically start on boot, but have never set this type of thing up before.  How can I do this?

Fourth how can I start X on bootup?  I'm assuming this ties into starting ipkungfu on boot, but suppose it could be different, hence I ask.

And finally is it possible to autologin and save myself some trouble after my box boots?  Preferable so that my box boots into X as my normal user after bootup.

Thanks in advance... I already love this distro, so fast and easy.  But I have much learning to do still!
LavaPunk

#2 2004-03-05 23:54:52

calexico

Re: Arch questions

First : kernel source, I think that there is no kernel source package, but as the arch kernel uses no patch on the official kernel, you can just downlod it from http://www.kernel.org

Second : add something to your PATH. You have two ways to do it :
- put a script in /etc/profile.d
- put it in .bashrc
In either case, you must add the line :

PATH="$PATH:your_first_path:your_second_path:..."

to the file (script, bashrc or profile)
If you put it in your bashrc, it will affect only one user
If you put it in /etc/profile.d, it will affect everyone

Third : add something to startup.
Startup script are in /etc/rc.d . Basically, you put your script there and make it starts auto by adding it to your rc.conf . To make such a script, you can look at the scripts already presents in /etc/rc.d .

Fourth : start X auto on startup
All DE (kde, gnome, ..) have a graphical login manager and a script is already in /etc/rc.d. All you have to do is add it in your /etc/rc.conf. For example for Kde, it's kdm, for Gnome, it's gdm...
This graphical login manager have generaly the ability to autologin one user, but, don't know why, it doesn't seems to work for gdm and kdm (the bug is already in bugzilla).

Well, my answer is quite short because I don't have much time tonight, but if you need I'll go on further with pleasure smile

#3 2004-03-06 00:00:10

Xentac
Forum Fellow
Website

LavaPunk wrote:

Second as Arch doesn't automatically update your path after package installations how can I manually do this?  And how can I do it only for certain users?  root and my user (lavapunk)?

Any package that needs a special environment variable (like your PATH) will have a file put in /etc/profile.d.  You just have to log out and back in to have it set.

I have discovered that all of mans unhappiness derives from only one source, not being able to sit quietly in a room
- Blaise Pascal

#4 2004-03-06 02:40:49

LavaPunk

Ok well I downloaded kernel-2.6.3 but I still cannot install the nvidia drivers.  I am given these messages:

No matching precompiled kernel interface was found on the NVIDIA ftp site;
   this means that the installer will need to compile a kernel interface for
   your kernel.
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.3/build'
-> Performing cc_version_check with CC="cc".
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
   executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make clean'...
   cat: /lib/modules/2.6.3/build/Makefile: No such file or directory
   rm -f -f nv.o os-agp.o os-interface.o os-registry.o nv.o os-agp.o os-interfa
   ce.o os-registry.o nvidia.mod.o
   rm -f -f build-in.o nv-linux.o *.d .*.{cmd,flags}
   rm -f -f nvidia.{o,ko,mod.{o,c}} nv_compiler.h *~
-> Building kernel module:
   executing: 'cd ./usr/src/nv; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.3/build'...
   make[2]: *** No rule to make target `modules'.  Stop.
   nvidia.ko failed to build!
   make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
   make: *** [module] Error 2
-> Error.

So I'm assuming that it isn't finding the correct kernel so where do I need to put it so that it will?

#5 2004-03-06 02:45:46

Dusty
Schwag Merchant
Website

You can get the kernel sources using ABS, as opposed to pacman.

Dusty

#6 2004-03-06 03:52:16

LavaPunk

How exactly can abs download and install it?

#7 2004-03-06 06:39:24

LavaPunk

Nevermind, just recompiled it manually and got nvidia drivers working in the process, now to disable that annoying boot screen... hehe

#8 2004-03-06 10:01:47

LB06

If Arch would honor Feature Request #502, you we will be able to install nvidia drivers by just executing the script. wink

#9 2004-03-06 12:39:46

i3839

You can disable the nvidia boot screen with some option in XF86Config (Option "NoLogo" "TRUE").

For autologin I used the method on this site:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue72/chung.html

Board footer