You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-24 20:27:29

bolero

What just happend?

Hey guys, i have come across an ODD problem.  I have had Arch linux and Windows working fine together.  I use Grub as my bootloader.  I could choose both windowsXP and Arch linux from grub and both would boot successful!

Now to the problem.  After using windows and just playing some games, i turn off the computer for the night.  I turn the computer back on, select Windows XP from Grub, and the it spits out this error
*partition file type unknown 0x7* or something along those lines.  out of no where Windows just stopped booting.  I went into linux to find solutions however nothing worked.  Windows just stopped working out of no where.  I tried reinstalling windows XP bootloader but all that did was give me garbled characters on the screen, so that led me to believe Windows became corrupt.

I reinstalled Windows so everything is fine now, but im jsut curious what could of caused this? Anyone have any ideas?

-Bolero

#2 2007-02-24 21:41:15

ralvez
Website

Re: What just happend?

It is hard to say but ... I would suspect that the problem is likely related to windows itself and not Linux.
The boot loader in Linux merely points to the start section of the boot area of windows so I doubt that your Linux partition had anything to do with a windows corruption.

Did you happen to have run upgrades in the Linux box before you went into Windows, I mean, something like a kernel update that could have done anything to alter your boot loader?

R.

#3 2007-02-24 21:44:58

bolero

Re: What just happend?

i figured it was not Grubs fault after i installed Windows bootloader and all it gave me was garbled stuff... luckily i could boot into linux and have a working computer still.  I have done nothing serious that would affect anything related to this sort of problem so thats why its confusing me.  All i did was boot into windows, play a couple games.... do some chatting etc.  Turned off the computer, next day turned it back on, and windows was effed.  Noo clue.  I have it all worked out now, but im just curious as to why this would happen.. ohhhh well.  Thankfully Linux was there, it got me through it!

-Bolero

Last edited by bolero (2007-02-24 22:33:56)

Board footer