You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-25 04:48:35

timm

ps2 keyboard stops working

I've been working on a dual boot machine tonight, got Windows up, got Arch up, rebooted after working on X,

and my ps2 keyboard stopped working.  Not in grub, where I can still choose what to boot, nor in Windows, if I go that way.  But I cannot even log into Arch.  I've seen some posts re this happening inside Arch, but never to this extent.

I've tried 2 keyboards, same issue.  The weird thing is that it was working.

I don't have a usb keyboard and I really hate to spend any money on this; any ideas?

Last edited by timm (2007-02-27 01:42:47)

#2 2007-02-25 06:07:14

aRcHaTe

Re: ps2 keyboard stops working

how did you configured xorg? tried putting hwd on boot?..i had a similar problm once..and the solution was on bios configs...dunno why but the antivrus that ran on bios frosen stuff..and the keyboards on other distros...but strange as it seems archlinux never had that problm..so back to arch..screw all the rest:D

Last edited by sickhate (2007-02-25 06:09:21)

Its a sick world we live in....

#3 2007-02-26 11:56:27

Kern

Maybe try booting from your Arch CD. check into /etc/X11/xorg.conf and edit appropriately.

Section "InputDevice"

Identifier  "Keyboard1"
    Driver      "kbd"
etc
see if you recognise anything looking bad.

--
i had similar a while back. used usb mouse in Arch. swapped to PS2  to run some bootable DOS disk hard drive util.
swapped back to Arch. (and maybe usb mouse ) mouse defunct..   

checked and edited xorg.conf seemed for some reason that it now had the wrong pointer for where the mouse device was

#4 2007-02-26 15:44:04

timm

I forgot to check the bios to look for anything there, but I did boot with Arch CD and still had no keyboard once I get to the login prompt.  (Did have it for modifying the grub startup menu, etc)  Will check the bios tonight for any oddities. 

It still works in Windows, so the keyboard and connector can't be bad.

[UPDATE]

I checked the bios, nothing there dealing with the ps/2 at all.  I did note that when I boot into Windows, the num lock button light on my keyboard lights up, but when I go into arch, I can get none of the lights to come on.  The keyboard seems completely dead.

Could this be a missing driver or something like that?  When I was messing with it the other day I got it to be recognized by turning the computer completely off and then restarting it; that hasn't worked since.   

Could this be a bug somewhere?

Last edited by timm (2007-02-27 01:42:01)

#5 2007-03-10 16:48:56

timm

Finally got around to opening the box; took out the CMOS battery and let it sit to reset; plugged it back in and set up the BIOS on reboot; no luck with Linux, still no keyboard at all once I get to the login prompt. sad

#6 2007-03-10 19:05:28

Snowman
Developer/Forum Fellow

Just a guess but maybe you are loading a module that's inteferring with the keyboard. In grub, pass the kernel parameter init=/bin/bash
After loading the kernel, you'll be dropped in a bash shell. Try using your keyboard there. If it doesn't work then it's  a kernel issue otherwise something happens between the time the kernel is loaded and the login prompt is shown. In that case, you could boot to runlevel 1 (to do that I think it's init 1). IIRC, that will drop you in a bash shell  (or login prompt?) just before the daemons are started. If the keyboard works there, then your daemons are causing the problem.

Hopefully this will help you to pinpoint what  causes the problem.

#7 2007-04-19 04:08:24

sivad

was this resolved, i have the same issue on one of my arch boxs

Board footer