You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-26 12:15:16

dicki

boot problems after pacman -Syu

Hi,

I have been using Archlinux happily for the last couple of months, updating weekly and generally having no problems.

Last friday i did an update (which included a kernel update), shut down and left it for the weekend and found that it doesn't boot today.

the last 4 lines of the boot sequence are:

:: Running Hook [filesystems]
:: Loading root filesystem module... ext3
:: Initramfs Completed - control passing to kinit
IP-Config: no devices to configure

i use GRUB as the boot loader and these are the lines you can edit from there

root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz26 root=/dev/hda3 ro
initrd /kernel26.img

i have also tried booting with the live cd and the command

arch root=/dev/hda3 noinitrd ro

and it locks up here:

using ipi shortcut mode
kjournald starting. commit interval 5 seconds
EXT3-fs: mounted filesystem with ordered data mode.
VFS: Mounted root (ext3 filesystem) readonly

So i am guessing that i am having trouble mounting the root filesystem. I think i remember seeing a message about checking the EXT3 filesystem flash by on one of my boot attempts but i don't know how i would do this without being able to boot arch linux!

thanks for any advice you can offer.

dicki

Last edited by dicki (2007-02-26 12:15:47)

#2 2007-02-26 14:59:01

dicki

Re: boot problems after pacman -Syu

further information...

while experimenting with the arch live cd i tried mounting hda3 (failed with a lockup)

also tried running e2fsck. initally this said the filesystem was clean. i tried running it with the -f option and again got the lockup.

it sounds to me like my ext3 filesystem is shafted, any ideas on recovery options?

thanks

#3 2007-02-28 09:10:08

dicki

while i feel like i am talking to myself...

i have come to the conclusion that it wasn't a pacman issue. i think the system is broken in the wrong way for that to be the cause.

i have now managed to mount and read *parts* of the filesystem. i am resigned to the idea that i'm going to have to trash this install and start again but i would like to try and get my recent e-mail messages off of it if i can.

When the disk is mounted i can see all of the top level directories however all of the useful ones (./boot, ./root, ./home etc) say that there is an Input Output Error when i try to access them. does anyone have any thoughts on recovering this data. i believe it should be in ~/.opera/mail but i currently cannot read this directory.

#4 2007-02-28 17:09:34

djidji

i doubt this has anything to do with pacman. it sounds like a hardware failure. i had a similar (almost exact problem) and the only way i got my info back was to boot using knoppix live cd and copy data to a place on the network. for some reason knoppix was the only distro that was able to see the drive and mount it. i also tried attaching the drive to a system running fedora and LFS but neither one of those worked. also, just like you i had a hard time reading info from certain directories but i kept trying (restarting and trying again). however if this is a hardware problem rebooting your computer and trying to read from the drive may cause even more damage. i would say try using knoppix and see how it works.

Board footer