You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-28 02:44:52

rbrownclown

Konqueror = KILLER!

After using Gnome for a couple of years, I finally got tired of it and decided to switch back to KDE.  Pretty much everything is the same as I remember it, except one critical app...

KONQUEROR!

I had forgotten how awesome this file manager is!  But that's not what amazes me, because I've used Konqueror as a file manager in the past (back when I used KDE).  I knew it did web to, but I got hooked on Firefox and never tried it.  It's the best web browser I've ever used!  Very lightweight (compared to Firefox), and everything is so smooth.  I want it to be my default browser.

I have some questions.

So far, the fonts haven't looked too bad, but I haven't surfed around enough to know for sure.  What bothers me are the fonts on the browser itself.  They don't look as bad as some of the other fonts I've seen, but they could use some improvement.  Is there a way to smooth them out?  If not, I can easily get used to it.

Is it compatible with the MPlayer plug-in?  I've used it since the beginning, and find it the most reliable player for embedded videos.  If not, what alternatives do you guys suggest?

What about Flash and Java?

Thanks,
Rich

#2 2007-02-28 02:59:51

skottish
Forum Fellow

Re: Konqueror = KILLER!

You can use KMPlayer, which integrates into Konqueror.

Java works great, even on 64 bit. Just set the Path to Java executable in your Konqueror config to:

/opt/java/jre/bin/java

You can speed up Konqueror as a web browser in a big way by adding this line to the end of your /etc/profiles/kde.sh file:

export KDE_NO_IPV6=TRUE

I heard flash works, but not on 64 bit (natively).

And you can do really cool things with the address bar. For instance, type

gg: search

and it will search Google for 'search'.

wp: search

Wikipedia. And so forth.

You can even:

man: mplayer

to get MPlayers man page.

Last edited by skottish (2007-02-28 03:02:05)

Board footer