You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-28 02:53:53

AlmaMater

Olmost done whit my first arch installation,questions XFCE4*SOLVED*

hi all, well yeah first post,  i been reading and reading, and i have been able to sucefull install arch, and XFCE4
whit the goddies, multimedia, office stuff, configure Xorg getting 3D acceleration , getting wpa_supplicant working etc etc

olmost everything done,  but since im a n00b, i have 3 questions:

*****ALL QUESTIONS SOLVED****
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**SOLVED**

1) how do i make to boot into xfce4 automactly? (example: xubunti, u get to the xfce4 enviroment to login and etc)
I did some reading, and i had to change the init 3, to 5 in /etc/inittab , and then add something like xdm to the DAEMON in rc.conf which didnt work :s

So far i have edited in /home/.xinitrc , and add "exec startxfce4", so then typing startx i get xfce4, but.. ¿how can make the system to boot directly into XFCE4, and then to allow the login i want etc?
EDIT: I made it to work, reading a arch wiki in french lol (http://wiki.archlinux.fr/howto:environn … :xfce-slim), using slim, now i get directly into XFCE4
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**SOLVED** thanks to paul2lv

2) Reggarding the time, is worng :S , i did changed the local time to my zone (America/Santiago) but the clock dosnt shows the right time, i selected localtime, how can i change it?? : s (tried UTC aswell, no luck)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**SOLVED** thanks to hacosta

3) last question (for this post tongue) i was trying to install Transmission,  and when i made ./configure, it returned that i dont have GTK+ installed, but it IS :S it was installed tru pacman, so i made a "whereis gtk" wich returned= /etc/gtk /usr/include/gtk,  so i tried  ./configure --whit-gtk=/usr/include/gtk, but i got the same result, i tried whit ./configure --whit-gtk=/usr/include/, whit  /etc ,  no luck, like i said im a  total n00b : s
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
**SOLVED** thanks to dw

other question, about pacman, lets say i install VLC, so pacman need to download X packages, when i make pacman -R vlc, only removes VLC package??, if so, how do i uninstall those packages that were needed by VLC ??
well the first question is like the one im dying to understand how to do it, i did research in google, but or i didnt find,  or i didnt understood :S
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
thanks for all the help : )

Last edited by AlmaMater (2007-03-01 14:01:25)

#2 2007-02-28 03:47:21

hacosta

Re: Olmost done whit my first arch installation,questions XFCE4*SOLVED*

ok about transmission, there is a package in the community repo,
to get a login manager use one of the two methods, (just add gdm to your DAEMONS array in rc.conf) and make sure it is installed
regarding the time, i

#3 2007-02-28 04:10:37

AlmaMater

hacosta wrote:

ok about transmission, there is a package in the community repo,
to get a login manager use one of the two methods, (just add gdm to your DAEMONS array in rc.conf) and make sure it is installed
regarding the time, i

thanks m8, i made the login manager to work reading more the wiki and using slim (pacman -S slim) and configuring, so thanks
ok i will enable the community repo and see how it goes

EDIT: works now, thanks m8

cheers smile

2 questions left to answer.. tongue

Last edited by AlmaMater (2007-02-28 04:17:33)

#4 2007-02-28 04:32:42

paul2lv

To fix your wrong time, use the "date" command.
It's something like: date mmddHHMMYYYY

#5 2007-02-28 08:07:10

dw

AlmaMater wrote:

other question, about pacman, lets say i install VLC, so pacman need to download X packages, when i make pacman -R vlc, only removes VLC package??, if so, how do i uninstall those packages that were needed by VLC ??

hi.

try

pacman -Rs vlc

#6 2007-02-28 13:42:59

AlmaMater

paul2lv wrote:

To fix your wrong time, use the "date" command.
It's something like: date mmddHHMMYYYY

cheers m8 ,  i only had to change the time, not date,   using

date -s 1042  (10:42 am)

thanks very much

#7 2007-02-28 13:43:42

AlmaMater

dw wrote:
AlmaMater wrote:

hi.

try

pacman -Rs vlc

yeahhhh  thanks dude, that worked smile

Board footer