You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-28 16:54:46

autoloading dm-crypt and aes-i586 crashes mount command. *SOLVED*

I have made an (maybe not so perfect?) solution: by adding the possibility to use cryptsetup + modprobe without confirming the sudo with a password (editing the sudoers file), and then wrote a script to load the modules, unlock the partition and mount the partition when needed. (it also does it backwards: umount it, close and remove the modules (by anly using the modules when needed, this problem doesn't occur). If anyone want the script, just ask.:)

this is the old post:

Hello, I have almost never had any problems with archlinux (most times, I have been the problem tongue ), but recently, I have started to experience mounting problems when I try to mount an encrypted partition.
From the beginning, I were manually loading the dm-crypt and aes-i586 modules, but then I decided to make it more efficient by auto loading the modules at boot. So I have placed them last in the MODULES array in rc.conf and now, sometimes when I try to mount my partition (in /dev/mapper/media, after running sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/hda3 media), the mount command hangs (and it won't listen to kill signals hmm ). and I can't even shutdown the system (it hangs at the shutdown message).

Sometimes it's working perfectly, and I can Open, Close, mount and umount it perfectly, but sometimes everytime I try to mount it, the mount command hangs. (I'm not 100% sure it's because of the autoloading, since the crashed mount won't allow cryptsetup to close the device, so I can't reopen it after modprob:ing) I've been folowing the "LUKS Encrypted Root" howto in the wiki, the differences is that I'm not using the partition for root, just for storing files, and I'm mounting (and unlocking) the partition as a normal user.

I'm using the Beta1 installation and I'm prepared to reinstall the system with Beta2 or and older stable release, if that would solve the problems (I mean, pacman does a pretty good job installing everything I request wink )
I have searched for similar problems, but I just can't find anyone with the same problem... have I done something very stupid? I will post any config-files you request, but I think they are configured the right way, or should I autoload the modules some other way?

thanks to everyone who helps (or manage to read trough everything I have written O_o)

Update: I have tried the beta2 on a usb memory, it had the same problem... After experimenting with the system, I have found out that it sems to work without any problems when opening and mounting the partition just after booting, but if I wait a few minutes after booting, mount hangs when I try it. sad
Is this some kind of time-out in the modules or an owerflow hmm

Last edited by 1311219 (2007-03-01 18:26:19)

#2 2007-03-28 17:33:17

jongking

Re: autoloading dm-crypt and aes-i586 crashes mount command. *SOLVED*

Phew, thank you!
I was really going mad when I tried to mount my harddisk and /bin/mount crashed. I use to load the modules at boot, but since the update today (device-mapper 1.02.18-2 could have something to do with it) this problem occured.
However, it works fine for me now. As you said I simply loaded the dm-crypt and sha256 modules directly before creating the mapper and mounting it.

#3 2007-03-30 15:02:51

Re: autoloading dm-crypt and aes-i586 crashes mount command. *SOLVED*

Nice to hear that I'm not the only one that had that problem. wink
Some few times I still get some similar problem, but it's really unusual with the load-modules-when-needed method.

UPDATE: it seems that this problem doesn't occur anymore(probably some upgrade).:)

Last edited by 1311219 (2007-03-31 15:32:28)

Board footer