I have a fast internet connection at the office, but not at home.
1. What files do I need to copy so that I can burn a KDE CD?
2. What is the procedure to install KDE from my own CD?
at home, you can do a pacman -Sp kde
it will print to stdout a list of files you should download in your office.. burn them (as in copying to a cd).. then at home copy them to /var/cache/pacman/pkg now, do a pacman -S kde
dont forget to get xorg and your video drivers as well (:
I don't have an internet connection at home connected to the Arch Linux box, so unfortunately that pacman command fails.
Those commands don't need an internet connection.
1) download ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/current/os/i686 … .db.tar.gz and ftp://ftp.archlinux.org/extra/os/i686/extra.db.tar.gz when you have internet
2) on your home pc (as root): cd /var/lib/pacman ; cd current ; rm -rf * ; tar xzf /path/to/current.db.tar.gz ; cd ../extra ; rm -rf * ; tar xzf /path/to/extra.db.tar.gz
3) pacman -Sp --noconfim kde > pkglist
4) take that file where you have internet and run wget -nv -i .../pkglist in an empty directory
5) when the download has finished take those files to your home pc, put them in /var/cache/pacman/pkg and run pacman -S kde
Last edited by byte (2007-02-28 22:40:05)
hey .. I have a similar situation, in which I have no internet at all back home and I have to rely on an internet cafe for all of my downloading needs ...
So my question is similar, however what Im after is KDEmod - cause it seems better and leaner and all.. Problem is the link to the kdemod repository cannot be accessed with a web browser, it gives me an access forbidden error...
Now I know the guy behind that project is somewhere around this forum. I have sent you an email already but have failed to give you any way to answer back ! hehe ... this forum doesnt have private messaging so I guess Ill just give it a try here. So, kdemod guy, how can I get my hands on the files needed to get your kde mod ??
chupocabra ... psupsuspsu psu psu