You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-01 19:35:18

maqbeq

Why X11 requires an inet connection?

Hi there, first post BTW tongue

Well today I've got my first cuorious problem with arch. It had ended booting without problems, but as soon as I wanted to run startx (with my bare user) it didn't go too far. I hadn't got a clue, so I thought changing to root may solved it because it had been working 5 hours before. And for a month or so without problems.

i continued clueless untill I decided to run pacman. Then I realized I wasn't connected to the Internet (f*ck). As soon as my router came online again I could start X. So, where is hidden the option that turns this sh*t off? On xorg.conf it ain't... Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance ppl!. Great distro BTW big_smile

#2 2007-03-01 21:13:05

hugin

Re: Why X11 requires an inet connection?

Was your network stript started prior to trying to startx?  X requires the loopback device be active.  So if you had it off, which I'm guessing you mightt have since your router was offline, it needs to be on.

As a second possibility, your /etc/hosts file may not have your hostname in it's loopback. i.e.:

127.0.0.1   localhost.localdoamin localhost arch

where 'arch' is the hostname of your PC. 

/swogs

Open Toes; Open Mind; Open Source.

#3 2007-03-01 22:05:11

Stalwart
Website

x11 works over network. That's why

IRC: Stalwart @ FreeNode
Skype ID: thestalwart
WeeChat-devel nightly packages for i686

#4 2007-03-01 22:28:31

skymt

If you don't use X over the network, you should probably disable it. If you use a display manager, it should be disabled by default. If it isn't, check the documentation for your particular DM.

With startx, you should make an executable file at "~/.xserverrc" and put this in it:

#!/bin/sh

exec /usr/bin/Xorg :0 -nolisten tcp

Change the options as you see fit (see man Xorg for details).

#5 2007-03-02 17:27:20

maqbeq

If you don't use X over the network, you should probably disable it

you mean, I don't use X to connect to the Internet? Well I just connect to the net, maybe using Firefox, pacman, audacious... Or you mean that X11 connects to the inet? And BTW, I don't have that file and everything's working ok, but that will avoid that if some day I install iptables I'll be able to run X as before?

Was your network stript started prior to trying to startx?

Yes. But that's Arch internals, isn't it?. Well, I've been taking a deep look at it and everything's as you say. I have on rc.conf both devices listed (lo0 and eth0) and inside of hosts:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost

Damn! I m8 have fully read all of your answers!! Then the name of hostname on the hosts file must be the same that appears on rc.conf? Then I'll change it and I'll wait till the next time my router dies.

Cheers! smile - It's Friday! big_smile

Last edited by maqbeq (2007-03-02 17:39:22)

#6 2007-03-02 19:20:33

Cerebral
Forum Fellow
Website

maqbeq wrote:

If you don't use X over the network, you should probably disable it

Or you mean that X11 connects to the inet?

X is designed to accept remote connections over the internet, so you can do things like run an X application over SSH and still get the window appearing on your desktop.  If you don't plan on using X this way (ie. only as a local window-server) then you can disable the network portion as suggested.  This will not affect apps that connect to the net that happen to have an X window, ie firefox.

#7 2007-03-03 21:33:02

maqbeq

Ok. Thanks for your nice reply, I'll look it as soon as I've got some spare time.

is designed to accept remote connections over the internet, so you can do things like run an X application over SSH and still get the window appearing on your desktop

I had heard of that before. Also will take a look at X11's wiki page to discover how can this be done.

Geez, too many things to do on my spare time smile

#8 2007-03-21 20:58:08

lallepot

Maybe you figured out, but if you install iptables and drop all incoming traffic incl. loopback then Xwindows isn't going to work. I found out long time ago when I could get X started after 'harding' my ip policies with iptables.

--lallepot

Board footer